Pallet Island

Using a pallet and reclaimed wood I made a fun island. Construction is simple--legs and a bottom shelf. Added details such as a bottle opener, a place for cookbooks, a towel hook, and a paper towel holder are a fun touch. This piece would be great in a craft room too or on a patio for a buffet.
This started as a nice, decent, sturdy pallet. I knew it would make a nice table top. I added reclaimed wood legs that I painted for a pop of color. I painted them using red, green, and turquoise paint applied in a sloppy manner.
A bottle opener painted silver is a fun touch. A silver hook for towels or pot holders is on the other leg.
This was a stainless steal "pocket" I found at a thrift store. Attached to one end of the pallet, it is the perfect place for cookbooks.
A bottom shelf made from pallet boards is a great place for extra storage. The shelf sits on wood cross braces--these really help to add stability to the island.
Thin pieces of reclaimed wood were added to the pallet to fill in the spaces. I used a brad nailer oin these to secure them. I used a food safe wax (Annie Sloan) on the island.
A vintage stainless paper towel holder was added on the opposite end from the cookbook holder.
This was a thrift store find--a stainless steel "pocket".

Becky--Beyond The Picket Fence

• Jerre Miller

Where are you finding reclaimed wood? I would love to do some of these projects but I haven't a clue where to find reclaimed wood. Thanks

• Rtd

great project simple and easy to do - we are going to use it for next to a barbacue! #REALLY AWESOME!!!