Asked on Dec 23, 2017

How to clean garbage disposal from odors

CareyMichele PappagalloJanet Pizaro
+8

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

Cut up a lemon or orange and run the disposal. You can also use the baking soda/vinegar/boiling water trick to clean it up first, then use the citrus to deodorize the disposal.
  • Kio9781653
    Kio9781653

Lemons! Quarter a lemon and grind it through. That always worked for me.

• Aprille
    Aprille

Cut up a lemon or orange and run it through the disposal.
  • Chez
    Chez

Use ice with the lemon to get it to clean the blades
  • Janet Panos
    Janet Panos

Hello! Pour boiling hot water down the disposal and let it run for 30 seconds to clear out any food that may have been trapped and causing the odor. Cut a lemon in quarters and one by one drop into the disposal, running the disposal each time. That should do the trick! Happy Holidays!
  • Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure
    Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Throw some ice cubes down it, grind then up to dislodge any stuck particles. The quarter a lemon and put a quarter at a time down, grinding after each quarter.
  • Tlchampion323
    Tlchampion323

I find that the rubber around the drain gets bad on the underside. These are little flaps that need regular cleaning. I use a dedicated sponge using comet /Ajax or bleach all around the drain hole.
  • Michele Pappagallo
    Michele Pappagallo

Do this...cut a lemon (including the peel) into small chunks. Put the pieces into an ice cube tray. Fill the tray with white vinegar and freeze until solid. Dump the frozen cubes into a freezer bag and store in your freezer. Whenever your garbage disposal smells bad, drop one or two cubes into the garbage disposal and run it with a trickle of water as usual. It will freshen and clean your disposal and also clean the blades at the same time!
  • Carey
    Carey

Every time I eat an orange, I grind the peel down the disposal after running it. That keeps it always clean and fresh smelling. it is very low cost as well. Costs me nothing except to dispose of the peel that I don't use anyway.