The Rustic Duchess
The Rustic Duchess
  • Bothell, WA

Antique Bow Front Buffet Makeover

This buffet was in sad shape. Someone had carved up the top and the finish had seen better days. The top got sanded down and re-stained with General Finishes Java Gel. The body was painted with General Finishes Antique White and glazed with VanDyke Brown. The whole piece was sealed with General Finishes High Performance Top Coat and the hardware was painted in oil rubbed bronze and sprayed with a clear coat.
antique bow front buffet makeover, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture
The finished product!
Someone really did a number on the top.
After sanding out the stars.
The first coat of Java Gel.
A primer coat.
After the Antique White and the glaze.
To see more of what I'm up to Follow me on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/TheRusticDuchess

• Tri8783936

I have a project that I'm hoping to make look like this buffet and I was wondering why you stained the whole buffet with the java gel stain. Thanks
    • Nitpicker

She only stained the top with the GF Java Gel Stain. The photo looks like it was taken in the evening making the whole piece look darker. How'd yours come out?
    • The Rustic Duchess

yes thank you Nitpicker, apologies as I didn't see this question. I only stained the top. it was in poor shape and needed to be sanded to bare wood on the top.
  • Joa27756777

Did you use brushes to apply or spray? Also what kind of primer works best? I have a buffet almost identical and am inexperienced. Thanks!
    • The Rustic Duchess

so sorry I never saw this question! this was hand painted. when using a primer on mohogany I prefer Zinser bullseye shellac (not the water based...but the shellac based)
      use a brush or foam brush that you can throw away when done. it won't clean up with water and you need to use the solvent for shellac to try to clean it, which I believe is lacquer thinner.
  • Betty W

Loved the piece. Did you put the java stain on with a brush or rag? I have heard it goes on great with a rag. Great job.
    • The Rustic Duchess

Thank you! It was put on with a staining pad. Similar in effect as with a rag. I prefer either of those over a foam brush. I feel it goes on too heavy with a brush.

• Jean Davis

I have this exact buffet. Was the top solid wood or veneer?