Need help with selecting carpet and curtains.

+77
Hi everyone. I need help selecting carpet for my hall/foyer and living room. Although I'm not a carpet fan my husband insists we have carpet in the front of the house. Any way, i've posted before and after pictures so far and need your suggestions as to what color and type of carpet to get that will work with the taupe walls and teal accent wall/foyer. I'm leaning towards a taupe color maybe a shade lighter than the walls, but I don't want the room and hall to be a sea of taupe. I also have 3 teenagers and don't want the carpet to get trashed quickly so the lighter it is the more concerned I become.
Note, I like berber and also shag/frieze. Also note that our couch and sofa are black (for now) and I may have a red side table and some wood furniture as well.
Last, need suggestions on the color of curtains to get. PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance!!!!
q need help with selecting carpet and curtains, home decor, living room ideas, reupholster, window treatments, windows, accent wall all other walls are taupe as shown on the right
accent wall. all other walls are taupe as shown on the right.
q need help with selecting carpet and curtains, home decor, living room ideas, reupholster, window treatments, windows, View from living room showing accent wall and foyer hall
View from living room showing accent wall and foyer/hall.
q need help with selecting carpet and curtains, home decor, living room ideas, reupholster, window treatments, windows, living room main color taupe AKA Ashely Gray Need help selecting floor color
living room - main color - taupe AKA Ashely Gray. Need help selecting floor color.
q need help with selecting carpet and curtains, home decor, living room ideas, reupholster, window treatments, windows, My bright Sea Exposure Foyer I love it
My bright "Sea Exposure" Foyer. I love it.
q need help with selecting carpet and curtains, home decor, living room ideas, reupholster, window treatments, windows, Living room BEFORE I don t know what they were thinking
Living room BEFORE (I don't know what they were thinking!)
  • Vicki K Vicki K on Apr 02, 2014
    First of all, I would paint the baseboards white to match the ceiling and molding. I would get a dark taupe/mushroom color carpet so don't won't show so bad, will go with the taupe walls, be a neutral backdrop for your black and red. Bring in the teal in pillows. Can you repaint the red, a teal? That color just is standing there all on its own, it needs to flow more. I'm not sure how. I would not get teal carpet you will regret any "color" in carpet, it lasts too long and you can't "redo" your rooms later. Neutral bkgr are always best.
    • Amy Rohde Amy Rohde on Apr 04, 2014
      @Vicki K Totally agree about that! White trim would totally set of this color!
  • Rachelle L Leslie Rachelle L Leslie on Apr 02, 2014
    Although I am a huge fan or original woodwork, I have to agree with Vicki. The baseboards and trim would look better white because of the colors you've already cbose. In regards to carpet, a darker taupe would look good and stay with your theme. I would like to add, Id tell that husband that since he insists on carpet, HE can be the one to clean it when the time come to do so!!!
  • Tina Franzen Tina Franzen on Apr 02, 2014
    Thanks. I wanted to keep the wood trim but it already had paint slopped on it. We were going to do the same as the ceiling but I didn't want the painter to be bothered with it since he's doing our whole house. I bought teal pillows the other day. :) thank you both for your help!!!!!!!!!!! :) PS I'll tell Tomass you said that, Landa. I concur. )
    • See 1 previous
    • Tina Franzen Tina Franzen on Apr 04, 2014
      @The Garden Frog with C Renee great advice. thank you so much! frieze it is! :) I will also be shopping JCP. I have seen many nice things there thus far!
  • FOS Companies FOS Companies on Apr 03, 2014
    What about a NEW DOOR woodwork white...and I know I put this door on backwards...I'm showing you the outside but that's all I have on such quick notice...and what woodwork would freshen the room.
    • See 1 previous
    • Carla Larson Carla Larson on Apr 04, 2014
      @Tina Franzen go to a second hand shop or reuse it shop (with door measurements in hand) can get alot of nice things for little money and maybe some leg work.. I got an awsome light for my dining room yesterday for $12 and one for the bathroom for only $6...I have even picked up doors from curbs and people remoldeling and redone them for nearly free
    I had not considered shades; all i know is I've ruled out blinds. I have learned to loathe blinds in a huge way. the look is nice but the cleaning is a nightmare. thanks for the suggestion. it's definitely something to think about!
  • Lori J Lori J on Apr 04, 2014
    As far as the carpeting, I would suggest matching the neutral wall and using throw rugs to pop color.
    • Tina Franzen Tina Franzen on Apr 05, 2014
      @Lori J good advice! I wasn't sure about area rugs on carpet. but it's something to consider!
  • Gu3mom Gu3mom on Apr 04, 2014
    In support of other comments: White woodwork. Window shades (many options). Definitely frieze carpet, not berber. Personally, I would include some teal in it or even make it primary--see example. Real estate agents have convinced the public that neutrals are the only way to go (and I understand their logic, to a point) so I think people are pleasantly surprised and refreshed to see COLOR once in a while. Go for it!
    • See 2 previous
    • Lori J Lori J on Apr 27, 2014
      @Linda T Paint colors are easy things to change...carpeting is a far more expensive redo.
  • Theresa Hughes Theresa Hughes on Apr 04, 2014
    I would keep the taupe walls accenting with either darker brown or white around the baseboards and moldings. Ceiling either taupe or white but id probably go with taupe and id probably stay withthe darker moldings and baseboards then i woukd do either bamboo shade shades or roman shades but id probably go bamboo then have nice lighter brown sheer or lacey curtains rug i would go with taupe orbrown to tie room all together you coud also do a nice bamboo trim around bottom portion of wall and continue with bamboo moldings and tie room together with a nice leopard print wall paper border i would get rid if that hdeous blue wall altogether if you are going for a nautical theme there i woud o nice shade of darker blue with white accents and inorporate nice mural of an under the sea scape
      @Theresa Hughes thank you for your advice, but I take offense to the "hideous blue wall" comment. LOL The wall was just painted and I happen to LOVE IT! I like your idea of the bamboo shades though. that is something I hadn't considered.
  • Dona Dona on Apr 04, 2014
    Wow! Love the teal. Makes me think tropics, beach, etc.. I think a gray, taupe and sand tweed carpet would enlarge and ground the room and be fairly easy to keep clean. I'd get bamboo roll down shades at a home/garden store and then some tropical, large leaf print drapes for each side of the windows. Paint the red table in a lime green and find/make throw pillows for your sofa in dark teal, lime green and lemon yellow... maybe a few leaf prints in the same colors also. A few large leaf plants in black pots and a teal and blue swirled glass vase or bowl on the lime table with some shells and you'll feel like you're on an island in the South Pacific!
      @Dona Thank you! I love the teal also. It makes me smile! great advice. I really appreciate it!
  • Dona Dona on Apr 04, 2014
    JCP has a good drapery department on line.
  • Rugsville Rugsville on Apr 05, 2014
    You can go with aqua colored area rug.
  • Mikie S Mikie S on Apr 06, 2014
    Go to a Shaw carpet dealer and get the Silk style, it is soft and makes you want to lay on your carpet! Get one of the mix colors like oatmeal- it has the light taupe colors as well as dark specks to hide dirt, though it looks like taupe when installed.
  • I would definitely go with a taupe carpet - and an area rug in the middle with pops of teal in it - GREAT color choices btw ! I'm living in the middle of a gut job myself - that we plan to sell in a couple of years also :)
  • I like Mikie's suggestion for the carpet, I love the Teal wall color, I once had that in another home of mine. I Love bamboo shades as well, but would also add drapery panels from ceiling to floor on either side in a white to tie to your ceiling color maybe with a little yellow accent to contrast the blue. ;)
  • Julie Julie on Apr 06, 2014
    If it were me I would paint the front door. White would help brighten the space and enhance the lovely teal color. Also helps tie in the rest of the living area.
  • Barbara C Barbara C on Apr 06, 2014
    I think all white trim including the door and a softer shade of teal for the walls. A little too strong for me, but if you love it, it does not matter what anyone else thinks.
  • Tina Franzen Tina Franzen on Apr 06, 2014
    thank you ALL for your WONDERFUL suggestions. you've all been so helpful! The color looks much better in person, it's even more teal in person than it appears here. I love standing in my foyer. it feels like I'm immersed in the sea.. in a good way, of course. so comforting to me. I picked up some nice white frames with teal matte and beachy scenes (that I may or may not change)... they are going to look great.
  • Lindy Lindy on Apr 06, 2014
    How bendable is your hubby. Why not expose the wood floors with a great big area rug. Overstock.com has one that incorporates your taupe and teal/blue which I was thinking of for my goddaughter's apartment. Or, because of your kids...go for the commercial carpet or you will be redoing in 3 years...good luck
  • Kayeabram50 Kayeabram50 on Apr 06, 2014
    what color are you painting the room, you want something that doesn't show dirt and nothing loud
  • Beverly Beverly on Apr 06, 2014
    I have Berber carpet in variegated taupe, grey and ivory type shades. This might be a good option. Plus, it doesn't show a show dirt.
  • Bonnie S Bonnie S on Apr 06, 2014
    how about material on this line for the curtains with the bamboo shades...to tie the colors together..I vote for hardwood and a large throw rug too
  • Bonnie S Bonnie S on Apr 06, 2014
    go shopping and look at shower curtains, fabric, etc, comforters---anything that can be taken home to see how the colors blend/work with each other---anything close. then find the material and make or have them made. Should be fairly simple to make
  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Apr 06, 2014
    Don't give up yet! You didn't mention why hubby is so set on carpeting. How about a compromise? I'd install hardwood (not laminate) and get an good-sized area rug. (Sometimes there is hardwood under carpeting.) Hardwood is tough, easy to clean, no wear patterns, can be refinished several times, looks expensive. I like area rugs, too. Can be rotated to reduce wear patterns, can be replaced without breaking the bank if you decide on a new paint colour or decorating style. And, surprisingly, I've found hardwood is less expensive than good quality wall-to-wall. If all fails, and carpeting it is, go darker than the walls to help ground the room. The red table will be an accent colour which will go nicely with the aqua and taupe shades in the room. Just my opinion, but the aqua is a strong colour so I'd limit red to a bit in a cushion, or a throw or an ornament or two. Then I'd decide on the window treatment.
  • Moxie Moxie on Apr 06, 2014
    I would use the JCP accordion type fabric shades (no cords! and insulating..and cheap) that mount inside the widow jamb so keep things simple and get them in a color that as closely match the wall color as possible. I like your idea of Berber carpet for longevity and I also like the idea of taupe color - I think you furniture will break up the color enough but the choice won't compete with other things going on. In looking at the pictures I would recommend you consider painting your wood base trim, wall cap and doors a nice trim color close to the taupe wall color as they really pop in an outdated way and I suspect are different that the wood in your furniture. If you don't go taupe carpet my next choice would be a grey like the weathered wood color and use that as your neutral for other decoration. Love the bright colors..feels beachy...I think I would run with that.
  • JoAnn Preen JoAnn Preen on Apr 06, 2014
    Personally I like Berber carpet, it is tough and holds up well. It also comes in a variety of colors. Easy to clean
  • DebLynn DebLynn on Apr 06, 2014
    I'm thinking a Clean Crisp white sheer at the window and a pattern area rug to pull the conversation together!!! ENJOY! The color reminds me of a caribbean beach retreat!! The carpet tile squares are nice…for a Geometric design
  • JanB JanB on Apr 06, 2014
    I vote for wood floors with area rug. Black drapery hardware and accent pieces. If you go with carpet I would say taupe.
  • DonnaJo D DonnaJo D on Apr 06, 2014
    We had a great oatmeal berber with flecks of teal blue that would be great! It held up to traffic and soil beautifully. A stenciled rug with a geometric pattern in the blue with accents in red and black or brown would be great. Otherwise I'm a big fan of dots of color- a vase, a painting, a pillow... dots! I love the teal and the taupe/grey, btw.
  • Susan Brown Susan Brown on Apr 06, 2014
    I vote hardwood floors w/rug also. I think my computer colors need to be adjusted because I sea a medium blue so I can't give any advice on drapes or rug color. Although I do like the geometric pattern suggested by DonnaJo D.
  • Pam Bolton Pam Bolton on Apr 07, 2014
    I think that a nice engineered hardwood with area tugs would be lovely. If hubby is adamant about carpet, carpet the livingroom and tile the hall. You will not make it through mud season without tracks from the front door. For the drapery I would suggest IKEA creamy linen/cotton drapes hung on black rods from the line made by the white ceiling and the grey walls. For added evening privacy, I would suggest bamboo blinds hung above the top of the window to be left open during the day and lowered at night. One last thought, you might want to consider carpet tiles that could be changed out in case of spills or spots. Google Flor carpet tiles for ideas. Finally I would bring in some prints in teal, taupe and black and a splash of red in your pillows, throws and accessories. Good luck snd let us know how your rooms turn out.
  • Marianne Marianne on Apr 07, 2014
    What is it with husbands and carpet, I run into the same problem all the time. I like hardwood with a rug cut and bound to size, leaving about a foot of wood exposed around the edges. That makes us both happy, even though he still grumbles about it. After 5 kids and many dogs it gives me the option of throwing the rug away when It get so worn and purchasing a new one. Much easier than replacing wall to wall. Nice color choices and a darker taupe or multi-tweed would look great.
  • Donna Bourgeois Donna Bourgeois on Apr 07, 2014
    Frieze is better than berber, which tends to look sorta ratty as time goes by. If your walls are taupe-y, and you go neutral in carpet, then the neutral has to be taupe, also. Frieze hides stains better than berber and is easier to vacuum. Carpets are easier on toddlers to play and fall on than hard floors with area rugs. Room size area rugs - I love those, but they can be very expensive, even synthetic ones. Taupe carpet is least expensive option. I just went thru this decision myself for bedroom, and opted for neutral carpet, for comfort, energy efficiency, and low cost. Stainmaster (which is nylon) and Mohawk SmartStraind (which is triexta, a type of naturally stain resistant polyester) are two good things to choose. SmartStrand is virtually un-stainable, ifyou have toddlers & pets. As for myself, in den I have hardwood floors with synethic patterned area rugs (several) I got at closeout sale. Otherwise, they would have been uber expensive. Hardwoods may have to be refinished....expensive and inconvenient (you pretty much have to move out for a few days).
  • Kathy Kathy on Apr 07, 2014
    Paint your trim a bright white or something close to Home Depot's Swiss Coffee. Stained trim is very outdated. Is your living room going to be used on a daily basis or just when company comes? If it is just for company, get a taupe colored carpet. If it is going to be an area where your kids are going to hang out, get berber, because it holds up amazingly well.
  • Janet F Janet F on Apr 07, 2014
    If you have dogs and or cats, please try to talk your husband into tile or wood of some variety. My son mad his wife just tore out their 3 yr old carpeting this weekend and were horrified at how filthy the floor under the pad was. They are on a cement slab and this rug was vacuumed regularly. We put in tile in our house except for the bedrooms 6 yrs ago and I insisted we carpet the bedrooms. It was removed a year ago and I feel like the house is soooo much cleaner. I like the idea of white curtains or consider plantation shutters. I have the honeycomb blinds that open from either the top or bottom( or both) but they are looking kind of dirty and I have no idea how to clean them.....probably professionally. We have the enclosed blinds in our French door to the back deck and really like those.
  • Momcat1211 Momcat1211 on Apr 07, 2014
    Berber with dogs and a nice beige color not to dark and not to light to show dirt. You need to steam clean it twice a year and never and I mean never let anyone put shampoo on your carpet, just steam clean your carpet only. The shampoo will NOT rinse out and will attract more dirt and screw up your carpet and it will need replacing. NO SHAMPOO, NO SPOT CLEANERS, NO PROTECTION COATS OF CHEMICALS!! If your pet has an accident use vinegar, water and steam. Blot, blot, blot and clean it up quick, quick, quick!! Vinegar gets rid of smells too. Keep it in a spray bottle. Also, buy the best pad you can afford to put under your carpet it will make it last longer too. And you will enjoy your carpet so much more and it's easier to clean and vacuum. Vacuum your carpet every week at least if not more often. Without fail!! Make your husband do it since he wants the carpet. Invest in a really good vacuum with a really good motor too. Oreck makes some of the best!! I have had carpet all my life and I am 61 years old and I have learn a trick or two so you might want to take my advice. The biggest one is don't allow any shampoo on your carpet at all!! It makes it sticky and breaks down you carpet fibers and kills your carpet.
  • Momcat1211 Momcat1211 on Apr 07, 2014
    Also, don't get to many different floors thru out the house it makes it chopped up and looks smaller. I'd so with a hardwood laminate in the kitchen and some tile in the bathrooms and carpet the rest. If you have a long hallway that see a lot of traffic or entry way or utility room that needs tile or laminate treatment too. I like my living area in laminated hardwoods that won't scratch from dog's nails, they make it. Then area rugs. But, I do love carpet in my bedrooms!!
  • Angie Angie on Apr 07, 2014
    I would not leave that wall that bright a color.There are ways to soften the color if that is the color you want