Asked on Dec 25, 2017

Ideas for old window frame

Rebecca BenderKelly Denoyer RussellKim
+7

I'd like to make a frame for pics or mirror
  • John Biermacher
    John Biermacher

Search "window" on Hometalk and you will find a ton of ideas. I don't know where you are on the DIY scale, but would like to point out something I have learned. Traditional window sashes have a interior side and an exterior side and the glass is held in place with glazing (caulk) on the exterior side. Removing a pane of glass (broken or to be replaced with a mirror) can be messy and tedious. If you can find a garage/shed window or cut a section of an overhead garage door, you will find that the glass is held in place with wood strips that are much easier to replace. Whatever window you use consider which side works best for your application.
  • Ton31691171
    Ton31691171

my project
  • Susan Massey
    Susan Massey

I used a single-edge razor blade to remove the paint from the glass, covered a piece of cardboard with burlap for a background, then added some old lace doilies and antique photos of 6 generations of our family. I trimmed it out with a daisy-wildflower arrangement and popped a bird nest in the corner! The window itself is from grandma's old house! Four long screws hold it onto the 2x4 studs. This old piece of trash is now a family heirloom.
  • Jane
    Jane

You could paint a winter scene on it. For example, paint a large, smiling snowman as if he's looking into the window from the outside. Then add some snowflakes, and place white Christmas lights around the frame.
  • Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Photos or glass marbles are the most common ideas, does that appeal to you?
    Or do you want to make furniture rather than a wall hanging?
  • Patricia S. White-Moore
    Patricia S. White-Moore

In art class , years ago. We painted a small window frame silver and then painted pictures on reverse side..Kind of fun to paint a picture facing you!
  • James F Cunningham
    James F Cunningham

get a wall paper mur you like. Place over the most liked portion of picture. You may add curtains or drapes to in increase the idea of looking out a window. Same idea could be uses with a favorite photo that was been made into a poster.
  • Kim
    Kim

Here's a link to mine. Super easy.
  • Kelly Denoyer Russell
    Kelly Denoyer Russell

These are mine. I used twine for the picture ones and tiny decorative clothes pins to clip them on. I just got glued the twine ends on the side. You can also attach pictures behind the glass centered in each pane.

• Rebecca Bender
    Rebecca Bender

Here are some of my projects. There was one more, but I can't find my picture of it. It was a four paned window that I used polyurethane and sea shells to look like water. I used broken pieces of Styrofoam to look like bubbles in the water. Very nautical. Wish I could find my picture.
    , single pane using window cling and spray painting around it, Hand painted in black chalkboard paint, this one I had pictures blown up to fit each pane and filled in the extra space in back of the pictures with layers of cardboard then finished it with plywood to hold the pictures in I used Eye hooks and picture hanging wire to hang it