Asked on Dec 27, 2017

Is there an environmental (non chemical way) to keep insects away?

BijousKenLinda Sikut
+4

I have heard that using certain essential oils can help deter insects/pests from entering your home. I am interested in spiders, stink bugs and mice (coming in from the cold).

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi there, I've always heard the peppermint oil is the way to go, I put a few drops on all of my exterior doorways and anywhere I think they're getting in, helps a lot!
    • Mary Dolak
      Mary Dolak

Thank you for the link. I will be buying some essential oils. I have some borax, but that will wait for the spring when the ants start invading again. I will also have to ask my husband to save his coffee grounds.
  • Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Hi Mary, Below is an article that covers all of the pests that you listed. Check it out to see if it helps. Read the whole paragraph because some of the answers you want are at the end, after other ideas. Wishing you the best & Happy New Year!
  • Ken
    Ken

Keep in mind that essential oils are chemicals. Peppermint is a good idea as is lemon oil. You have to maintain high concentrations over a long period of time and it will not keep critters from coming in but may make them want to consider setting up housekeeping elsewhere. As for the mice, sealing up the holes where they are coming in is the only solution that works. Saves on heating and cooling bills too.
  • Bijous
    Bijous

Natural products are great, but you've got to find out where they're getting in and seal up. For all the cracks, stuff steel wool in and cover with metal flashing or at the very least use heavy duty tin foil. You can glue the tin foil using Liquid Nails. Put out rat traps at the entrances of where they're getting in, use peanut butter on the spring and drive them 5 miles from your house. They will come back if not taken this far. Good luck.