DIY Industrial Coffee Table With Storage

$99

Steph has been using the same coffee table/bench since her college days. We bought the faux leather clad bench for her dorm room from Target back in the day. It held up so well that when she moved to her home four years ago it moved with her to serve as her coffee table. It was starting to look a little ragged so she really needed to retire it but didn’t want to give up the storage it provided.

She came up

Watch the video!

Want to see our latest projects? Sign-up for our weekly newsletter   here!

diy industrial coffee table with storage

Before. This project all started with an Ikea bookcase as the shell.

We used a faux leather finish on the sides using crumpled up brown paper and glue. Paper was torn into small pieces, crumpled, dipped in watered down wood glue, then smoothed onto the sides.

The aluminum trim was cut to length with the Dremel Saw-Max.

We wanted the metal to lay flat on top so we marked where we needed to cut out the corner. We put a cutting wheel on the rotary tool to make the corner cut.

The metal was glued into place. Wheels were added to the bottom.

The side corner pieces were glued into place as well. We found the Husky Ratcheting Tie-Downs to be the perfect tool to "clamp" the side corners in place while they dried.

The top was made from a scrap of plywood siding. It was cut to size with a circular saw. To attach the recessed handles, we used a hole saw to create the right size hole. We then used the Multi-max to finish getting the correct size hole for the handle to sit in. The handles were screwed into place on the top of the table.

Two hinges were added to each side.

We really liked the way the table came together. The recessed handles were a late addition to the plan and are perfect as they keep the top clear allowing feet and stuff to be put on the top! Steph frequently needs to be able to move her coffee table out of the way so the addition of wheels makes this easy. The large interior allows for lots of storage of electronics, pillows and blankets and the large surface is a great play space for the nephews and niece! ​

For more detail please visit our website!

Mother Daughter Projects

• Did you use anything to seal the paper after you glued it on? If so what was used to seal it?

• NanaLeda

I did this in my bathroom wall and i didnt use nothing but wall paper glue just make sure you cover the ends well glue then u can go back over top with glue .BE SURE YOU BUY THE SAME BAGS WITH SAME LOT NUMBER BECAUSE SOME WILL BE LITER COLOR IF U BUY FROM DIFFERNT STORES

I DIDN'T CRINKLE MINE UP I JUST CUT BOTTOM OFF AND TOP OF BAG OF OFF AAND TORE PIECES UP

• Joyce Mccue

I LOVE this! I'm wondering if instead of the aluminum do they make it in black? Or I probably could paint it? Anyway, the idea is great!

• That's a good question. I'm not sure, but it could be painted. Make sure the metal is prepped so the paint will adhere well.~Vicki

• Sandra

What was the person who mentioned aluminum foil referring to ? I went back and read and looked at all the questions and answers.

• Serena Grace

a stunner well done, tailem bend south australia

• Walter Bercarich

Nice toy box, just don't let your kids fall on it or bang their head. You'll be making a lot of hospital visits.

I could use it in my garage to store paint.