Distressed Pantry Door DIY

$100

Our pantry had a typical white panel door just like all the other doors in our home. To add a little pizzazz to the kitchen, I thought maybe we could paint it. Even though it's bold- I decided on red for the color.
distressed pantry door diy
I wanted a distressed look to the door as our decor is sort of a fusion of farmhouse and Texas style.
distressed pantry door diy
We started with a chalk paint. I love chalk paint since there is not much prep work to do before painting. Just be sure your surface if clean.
distressed pantry door diy
The Mean Man painted the door using irregular brush strokes. That's what is so great about this technique- you do't have to be perfect! We started on the inside of the door and allowed it to dry for several hours, then flipped it and did the side that will show.
distressed pantry door diy
The next step was putting on a coat of sealing wax. This gives the paint a nice smooth finish.
distressed pantry door diy
The wax was applied using a stiff round brush. Put it on in a nice thick coat.
distressed pantry door diy
After about 2 minutes, use a lint free rag to wipe off the excess wax. This works great if you have two people, one applying and one removing. Don't wipe too roughly as you will lift off some paint. Just use gentle even strokes.
distressed pantry door diy
After allowing the sealing wax coat to dry for 24 hours, you can move on to the final step. To get a nice aged look without sanding and such, went over the sealing wax with a coat of antiquing wax.
distressed pantry door diy
Again, you don't have to be perfect with this. You don't want it to look perfect- you want it to look like the door has some age to it. Use the same technique of brushing the antiquing wax on with a stiff brush, waiting about two minutes, then wiping off with a lint free cloth.
distressed pantry door diy
The result is amazing. It looked aged and distressed without having to put on a stain, paint, sand, etc.
distressed pantry door diy
We added oil rubbed bronze hinges to match the original door hardware. After several days of letting the door cure (we hung the door once the wax was dry after about 24 hours) we added a "Pantry" vinyl cutout as a finishing touch.
distressed pantry door diy
I'm really pleased with the results! This is seriously an easy project to do. You just need to be patient and allow the paint and wax to dry thoroughly in between steps. You can check out the entire process with more photos at my blog: Under a Texas Sky.
Under a Texas Sky

• Patricia Frady

What would I use if I want a white distressed look?

• Under a Texas Sky

Hmmm, I would think that if you're starting with a door that is already painted white, just use the antiquing wax over it just like we did over the red paint. Now we did paint the door with the red using irregular strokes. You could always just follow exactly what we did, only use a white chalk paint instead of the red. Follow with the sealing wax then the antiquing wax. I think it would look great!

• Sad8872894

What a blessing that you posted this---it's beautiful and just what I've been searching for! I have an old baby wardrobe that my mother "antiqued" back in the '70's with a hideous green and it has remained this color since then. What do you think I should use to clean it, and also, would the materials that you used be ok to use over the already "old antiqued paint"? I live in a small apt., but I would be able to do this project---put down a drop cloth and not too many steps---I just love it---and I wanted this color also. Thank you!

• Annie

Hi I thought you used antiquing glaze in your tutorial not wax

• Misty wilson

Looks great!! Good job. Can you tell me the name of the red you used?

• Pam Benjamin

It's very nice. I love the color. And I have to say that I love your rooster!

• Teresa

Beautiful! I know how I will be doing my pantry door now!