My Budget Kitchen Makeover

$600
2 Weeks

When I bought my 80-year-old house I knew one of the first areas I'd want to update would be the kitchen. I don't have the budget to do a total overhaul so I turned to my favorite decorating tool - paint!

By painting the cabinets myself, installing new flooring myself and adding a few other cool touches I was able to get my dream kitchen for just a few hundred dollars!
This was the kitchen when I bought it. The cabinets were in good condition but I wasn't wild about the color. And while this floor works with this color of cabinet, it just wasn't my dream floor. Time to roll up my sleeves!
First I removed the cabinets and hauled them outside to give them a good scrub to remove years of dirt and grime.
Next, I filled the old holes with putty and let that dry. Then I lined them all up on sawhorses and began spraying them with primer and paint.

I used Benjamin Moore Advance paint, color: White Dove for this project. It is self-leveling and I'm very happy with how it has all come together!
Ta-da!!! Look at the transformation!! It's my dream kitchen!!! And best of all it didn't break the bank at all!!!
It's light and bright - a wonderful space to work and entertain!

Please hop over to my blog to see more of this and my other home makeover projects!

It took me a long time to do this project but it was due to other commitments that I had (like launching my new national magazine!!) but I think you could do a makeover like this in about 2 weeks or so if you were able to really focus on it. Good luck!

Jennifer Carroll

• Jennifer

What is the source for the rolling shelf at the end of the island and what are the dimensions?

Very nice transformation!!

• Robin

Can you tell me about your floors - did you have to remove the tile or did you put the wood over it - it looks beautiful!

• Cindy

I see handles on the drawers but not the doors. They had them before so how do you open them now without handles?

• Kathy Maldonado

This looks beautiful and inviting. Look the board across the the wall above the sink. Never would have thought of that and to me ties everything in

• Kathy

Nothing less than bootyful.