Jennifer Carroll
Jennifer Carroll
  • Waynesboro, VA

My Budget Kitchen Makeover

$600
2 Weeks

When I bought my 80-year-old house I knew one of the first areas I'd want to update would be the kitchen. I don't have the budget to do a total overhaul so I turned to my favorite decorating tool - paint!

By painting the cabinets myself, installing new flooring myself and adding a few other cool touches I was able to get my dream kitchen for just a few hundred dollars!
my budget kitchen makeover
This was the kitchen when I bought it. The cabinets were in good condition but I wasn't wild about the color. And while this floor works with this color of cabinet, it just wasn't my dream floor. Time to roll up my sleeves!
my budget kitchen makeover
First I removed the cabinets and hauled them outside to give them a good scrub to remove years of dirt and grime.
my budget kitchen makeover
Next, I filled the old holes with putty and let that dry. Then I lined them all up on sawhorses and began spraying them with primer and paint.

I used Benjamin Moore Advance paint, color: White Dove for this project. It is self-leveling and I'm very happy with how it has all come together!
my budget kitchen makeover
Ta-da!!! Look at the transformation!! It's my dream kitchen!!! And best of all it didn't break the bank at all!!!
my budget kitchen makeover
It's light and bright - a wonderful space to work and entertain!

Please hop over to my blog to see more of this and my other home makeover projects!

It took me a long time to do this project but it was due to other commitments that I had (like launching my new national magazine!!) but I think you could do a makeover like this in about 2 weeks or so if you were able to really focus on it. Good luck!
Jennifer Carroll

• Dale Colors

Help! How can I get nicotine off of my kitchen cabinets? Ive tried everything on the market. The cabinets are pretty but very gluey and dirty. I can paint unless their clean. Someone said try gasoline but I don't want to do that.

• Marty

TSP, found in the paint Dept of Lowe's, Home Depot. Use a sponge with a scrubber on one side. Follow directions for mixing & safety.

• Vicky Dungan

Does your blog detail that kitchen island?

• Kathie Sprague Kennedy

The question I have for myself is, which color should I choose!?!