My Budget Kitchen Makeover

$600
2 Weeks

When I bought my 80-year-old house I knew one of the first areas I'd want to update would be the kitchen. I don't have the budget to do a total overhaul so I turned to my favorite decorating tool - paint!

By painting the cabinets myself, installing new flooring myself and adding a few other cool touches I was able to get my dream kitchen for just a few hundred dollars!
This was the kitchen when I bought it. The cabinets were in good condition but I wasn't wild about the color. And while this floor works with this color of cabinet, it just wasn't my dream floor. Time to roll up my sleeves!
First I removed the cabinets and hauled them outside to give them a good scrub to remove years of dirt and grime.
Next, I filled the old holes with putty and let that dry. Then I lined them all up on sawhorses and began spraying them with primer and paint.

I used Benjamin Moore Advance paint, color: White Dove for this project. It is self-leveling and I'm very happy with how it has all come together!
Ta-da!!! Look at the transformation!! It's my dream kitchen!!! And best of all it didn't break the bank at all!!!
It's light and bright - a wonderful space to work and entertain!

Please hop over to my blog to see more of this and my other home makeover projects!

It took me a long time to do this project but it was due to other commitments that I had (like launching my new national magazine!!) but I think you could do a makeover like this in about 2 weeks or so if you were able to really focus on it. Good luck!

Jennifer Carroll

• Jean

Wow! It looks fabulous. Did you paint the framework of the cabinets and the inside?
  • Awb9174783

What did you use to clean the cabinets?
    • Christina

I don’t know what she used but I would use Krud Kutter. It’s the most amazing, environmentally safe cleaner. You find it in the paint section at Home Depot.
  • Thyra Hadank

The two side cabinets look like glass inserts? How did you do that?
    • Angela Bahling

If you click through to her blog you will get the answer.
    • Teresa

Don't you have having to go to blogs when you come to hometalk to see what's been done. I hate it!
    • Linda Sikut

@ Teresa, there is a reason for that. First of all, bloggers share their information and tutorials on Hometalk for free. No one has to pay to read them. BUT there are expenses in owning a blog. First is the purchase price of the website, then the cost of the server that holds the website. In addition, some bloggers use their websites as their own business. Now if you owned your own business wouldn't you like to get paid? Since they are online, they usually can't charge a fee to each person who finds their website so they use advertising as a small income generator. The only way they get paid is if people view their website (and often, if people buy using the links from their website). Each payment is small but if we all go to their website they will generate more income and that helps them at least pay for their website bills and hopefully gives them a small income - or maybe a larger one. The thing is why shouldn't they try to build up their website traffic to get paid for their time when they are actually giving away free information to the rest of us? Does that help you understand why bloggers really want you to go to their website?
    • Pam

looks like chicken wire with a painted panel behind it or it could be fabric stapled on behind it . i did this and used fabric so i can change out when the mood strikes to keep things fresh looking
  • Fis16693852

can this be used sideways? I would like to use it for pot covers
  • Dave Page

You state that you removed the cabinets, but to me it looks like you only removed the doors and drawers???
  • Diane Gibbs Fleming

Do you have to spray the paint on or can you brush or roll it on.
  • Pat6901438

My cabinets are formica. Does anyone know if I could opain them and if so, what kind of pain do I use.
  • SueAnn

How do you open the upper cabinet doors? Did not see knobs or pulls. Your makeover is awesome...I have your cow cream pitcher 🐄
    • Pam

looks like the cabinet door is set out a bit , just enough to put fingers behind bottom to open [ can see it in picture while setting on grass after cleaning]
  • Judy Williams

What did you use to clean the cabinets before you painted them, mine have years of grease and dust on them.
  • Bonnie

Did you use Satin finish or Gloss? How many gallons of paint did you use. What was your primer?
  • Pat Dewey Giarrusso

Besides a lot of elbow grease, what did you use to clean the doors? I have about 60 years of grease and grime that needs to come off! Love the fresh look
  • Angelee Flinn Gauthier

Do you paint the inside as well??
  • Annette

Can you describe/explain the cabinet doors that are left and right of the window? Also, is your refrigerator white?

• Chris J

It looks like she took the two cupboard door panels off and replaced them with chicken wire. She then put a piece of material of some sort to replace the panel she took out.

• Jeanne Martin

She says there is more information on her blog. Just hit the "Go" button just above this question section. HomeTalk limits how much info and pics they can post and this was a BIG project. I think it looks fantastic!

• Carol Lacey

Go check her blog

• Janice

Did you also make the island. Love this!!! Looks great!!!

• Linda

No question. Great job it turned out beautiful!

• Kathie Sprague Kennedy

Where'd you put all the stuff that was inside the drawers while you were doing all of this?

• Dale Colors

Help! How can I get nicotine off of my kitchen cabinets? Ive tried everything on the market. The cabinets are pretty but very gluey and dirty. I can paint unless their clean. Someone said try gasoline but I don't want to do that.

• P

Try a small area with SHOUT laundry spot remover - it is a petroleum distillate - or try WD-40 (small test area) Either way, spray- wait half an hour - then wipe off - use dish detergent to remove residue from Shout or WD-40. Tri-sodium phosphate (Spic N Span) will clean, degrease & de-gloss surfaces for painting - might work by itself without Shout or WD40.

• Kate

Brand name TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) works great. It comes in powder form and you dilute it with warm water.

• Shirley

white vinager is the best and elimimates nicotine oder as well. I used straight on walls and smell was gone the next day.

• Bonnie Woolever

I agree- TSP will work.

• Laurie

Professor Amos from HSN works Great! and nice smell.

• Kristi

Amonia!! Just used it for same issue!! After trying everything else.. it works amazing, it made it run right off..its groose tho seeing it come off like that but also very satisfying!!!

• Elly Miller

Go to a Dollar Tree and by Awesome. I got cigarette smoke off of white walls with it. Spray on let set couple of minutes and wipe off. Worked way better than anything else I tried and was also way cheaper

• Marty

TSP, found in the paint Dept of Lowe's, Home Depot. Use a sponge with a scrubber on one side. Follow directions for mixing & safety.

• Mary

Sams club sells a purple degreased in a gal jug it cleans anything

• Vicky Dungan

Does your blog detail that kitchen island?

• Kathie Sprague Kennedy

The question I have for myself is, which color should I choose!?!

• N. G. Londonderry

Did you really “ remove “ the cabinets and take them outside? Why would you do that? I only see the cabinet doors and drawers outside.

• Kathy Maldonado

That is what she means, you only need to remove doors. You paint the base of cabinets where they are. No need to remove the base

• Jennifer

What is the source for the rolling shelf at the end of the island and what are the dimensions?

Very nice transformation!!

• Robin

Can you tell me about your floors - did you have to remove the tile or did you put the wood over it - it looks beautiful!

• Cindy

I see handles on the drawers but not the doors. They had them before so how do you open them now without handles?

• Kathy Maldonado

This looks beautiful and inviting. Look the board across the the wall above the sink. Never would have thought of that and to me ties everything in

• Kathy

Nothing less than bootyful.