Upcycle Old Bed Posts

1 Material
$10

I found these old bed posts thrown out on the side of the road. They were solid wood and I knew I could do something with them. This is how I used them for Christmas decoration this year.
I used my trusty hand saw and cut the top finial off of both. My mother is going to use these on the gate and fence that surrounds her house. I forgot to take a picture before I cut the tops off.
I didn't want them to be the same height so I cut the round piece off of one. I held on to it to use later.
I did some sanding and priming
After a little chalk paint and some new candles this is the final product
I ended up with 4 candle sticks from the two bed posts
The large candle holder on the left and far right are the main pieces of the bed posts but I also used the round bottom (2nd from right) that I cut from the bottom. The mid sized holder 3rd from the right came from another old bed post I found thrown out. The candles were the most expensive thing about this project.

• Judy Goldbogen

Where did you buy those neat hanging baskets? Your project is really creative!
    • Cari

I've had those for years but I think I bought them at Hobby Lobby
      thanks
  • Missy Burch

looks nice- but won't the elements ruin it in short order? sorry to be a bummer.
    • Cari

I'm not leaving them out year round, I just put them out for Christmas. Although I did treat them with Thompson waterproof for wood.
  • ToTo

It looks as if you have them outside- doesn’t the wind knock them over?

• Linda

I was wondering the same thing, sort of. Could a person put some sort of post in the bottom of each holder to stick in the ground?

• Daisy@TX

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

• Thomas

Being in the South, all I can think of is this is an invitation to lunch for termites. You never place untreated wood close to a house.