Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Unique Clocks for the New Year

$10

Looking for a clock that out of the ordinary? You can literally make a clock out of anything - all you need is a clock mechanism that you can find at any craft store or on Amazon.
Here are three pretty cute ideas to inspire you.
unique clocks
I found this mechanism at Hobby Lobby. There are also different size hands and if you’re making a large clock, there are mechanism for larger hands.
unique clocks
The first clock I made is using a photograph. This is my dog, Gus.
A - I began by increasing the size of the picture to 8-1/2”x11” & printing it out, then I cut out his face using a utility knife.
B - I traced the face onto a piece of cardboard.
C - I cut the carboard using a utility knife.
unique clocks
I determined where the hands would be placed and marked the hole using a pencil, pushing the pencil through the photo and cardboard, making a hole.
I applied Tacky Glue to the cardboard and smoothed it with my finger making sure to get along the edges.
Allow to dry.
unique clocks
Once the glue was dried,
A - I pushed the clock mechanism through the hole
B - I then made the clock face: 1-metal washer, 2-nut, 3-hour hand, 4-minute hand, 5-cap.
unique clocks
So. Freaking. Cute.
unique clocks
Everyone has tons of pictures lying around. Why not make them into a clock?
A-I purchased 12, 3.5”x5” frames
B-I added my pictures
C-Using these Scotch brand adhesive squares (this is a good alternative to nails. The squares won’t damage your walls so you can change the design)
D-I attached the squares to the back of the frames
unique clocks
Using the clock mechanism,
A-I measured the depth
B-Drew those measurements onto a piece of cardboard
C-Placed the mechanism along the measurements and traced
D-Drew the depth measurement along the side and cut using a utility knife
E-I scored (did not cut through) the cardboard along all the black lines
F-I determined the center of the mechanism
G-And marked on the cardboard then cut the hole in the center
unique clocks
A-I added the hanger onto the back
B-I poked the mechanism through the center hole in the cardboard
C-Then wrapped the sides of the cardboard around the mechanism
D-I wrapped the sides with duct tape
E- Making sure everything was smooth
F-I painted the box with paint that matched my wall color
unique clocks
A-I put the hands onto the mechanism: 1-washer, 2-nut, 3-hour hand, 4-minute hand, 5-cap
B-Ready to hang
C-I hung the clock onto the wall using a small brad nail. Measuring from the mechanism, I applied the first picture to the wall at 3 o’clock
D-I hung 3 more pictures at 12, 6, and 9 o’clock before hanging the rest of the pictures.
unique clocks
Cute.
If you have children, you could replace the pictures of family members with pictures of a bed at 8 o’clock, a dinner plate at 6 o’clock, etc.
unique clocks
For the final clock, I used a whiteboard which every organized home has no matter what size.

Determine where you want to place the clock.
A-Using the clock’s hands, measure where the hole for the mechanism should be placed.
B-Flip the whiteboard to the reverse side and mark thone measurements
C-Using a small drill bit, drill a pilot hole
D-Find a drill bit that is the same circumference as the clock mechanism
E-Using that drill bit, flip the board to the right side, and slowly drill the hole.
unique clocks
Now add the clock hands.
A-Place the mechanism through the back to the front of the board, inserting it into the hole you just drilled
B-Add the metal washer
C-Add the metal nut, tightening it but not overly tightening it
D-Add the hour hand
E-Add the minute hand
F-Add the second hand
unique clocks
Because of the width of the clock mechanism, the whiteboard cannot sit flush against the wall.
A-Measure the length of the board
B-Mark those measurements onto two pieces of 1”x2” pine
C-Cut the pine to size
D-Apply glue - I used Weldbond
E-Mark the back of the whiteboard where the pine will be attached and lay the pine board, glue side down, onto the back of the whiteboard
F-Clamp the pine board in place
Allow to dry.
unique clocks
I determined where the whiteboard would be mounted, measured and placed three screws into the wall on those measurements.
Once the glue was dried, I placed the pine board onto the tops of the screws to hang (Yellow circle)
The numbers on the clock are scrapbook stickers but you can write numbers directly onto the whiteboard using pens.

How could you be more organized then to have a clock directly on your command center??

• LaVenna Kay Cox

I really like the dog clock. How do you hang it though?

• Janet Isenberg

On the clock box where you put the batteries there is a place for you to place it on a nail to hang it, just like a regular clock.

• Sheila Lindner

How did you attach the family pictures to the click? Are they in clear frames?

• Gina Cochran
    30 minutes ago

I want to make a large round clock..how thick can my woos be?

• Joanie

This is a cute idea........ An heirloom of time to cherish.

• LaVenna Kay Cox

I really want to make the dog clock and of course also with Kitty faces!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Kay