How can I tie new baseboard to that's already installed on the wall

1 answer
  • Eleanor Korf Eleanor Korf on Dec 30, 2017
    I am assuming you need to extend the length of the old baseboard because you have added on to the wall. You will need to find baseboard of the same size in depth, height and configuration of the top of the existing baseboard (but if too tall you can always cut some off of the bottom of the board). If the leading edge of the old baseboard is in good shape you would miter one end of the new baseboard at the same angle as the old, then affix the new , lapping either on top of or behind the old baseboard depending on the existing miter angle (under or over the mitered board). You would probably have to paint the entire baseboard, unless you are very good at matching existing finish.
    • See 1 Previous
    • Eleanor Korf Eleanor Korf on Dec 31, 2017
      The most certain way would be to take the existing baseboard off of the wall. But that method may make more work than necessary and is not necessarily going to be a perfect fit. if you have enough new baseboard so you can afford to waste a small amount of it, I would use a moveable try-square (if you have one) to measure the angle of the existing cut, use it to set your miter saw, and if you aren't spot on with the first cut then make slight adjustments accordingly. If you don't have a try-square you could use a piece of sturdy cardboard, hold it against the wall and cut it as close to the existing angle as you can. If it is off you can recut, slide it in behind the existing angle and adjust until it is as close as you can get it. Keep in mind that the top of the existing baseboard may not (and most often is not) at the same angle as the bottom so you might want to check your cardboard template toward the top and at the bottom. Once you have your angle, set your miter saw to that angle, cut the end of your board and fit to see if it is right on. If it isn't quite the fit you want then make slight adjustments. You should be able to get it close, if not spot on, at first try. If you are going to paint the baseboard you could settle for something close enough and use filler if necessary, then sand and paint. I hope this helps. When doing my baseboards I had numerous different angles to the existing baseboards (I was adding on to several rooms) and found that these were the best and easiest methods to use.