Kelly Condie Thompson
Kelly Condie Thompson
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Riverview, FL

How to Save Buying a Pillow in January

$2

Knowing that there is a month that is best to purchase various items, January is the month for "White Sales" - bedding, linens, etc. For a link of the best items to purchase in which months, please click here: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/shopping/what-to-buy-every-month/
But, I digress... One of those "white things" to purchase is a new pillow. A test to see if you need one and should throw your old one
how to save buying a pillow in january
Besides this pillow looking just plain awful, I have folded it in half and it stayed exactly like I folded it without springing back.
how to save buying a pillow in january
This pillow did the same thing, except, it was a king size pillow. To me this makes the pillow slightly more valuable because it costs more to replace it. Hence, my trying to figure out a way to save it. Economize!
how to save buying a pillow in january
I start out like this. Pick up one end of the pillow form and shake all the stuffings down to one end of the pillow. You can see through the pillow form here that I have compacted the pillow pretty well.
how to save buying a pillow in january
Next, I take all that extra fabric of the pillow form that is left over from the shaking down that I give it. This fabric can then be folded over on the pillow itself and safety pinned snuggly to hold it in place. I used 3 large safety pins. Then, you turn the pillow over and put the pillow with the safety pins in it into the pillowcase like you would regularily do when you have just changed your bed linens. If you put the side with the safety pins on the bottom, against the mattress, you don't even know that the pins are there. There may be a little extra pillow case from the king size pillow case that isn't quite all the way filled out. Just tuck it in under the pillow and you are good to go;
how to save buying a pillow in january
See the extra bit of pillow case left over? Just tuck it under and it is ready for use on your bed.
how to save buying a pillow in january
This is only if you like your pillow poofy and well supporting. If not, you won't want to follow this idea. It can save you having to purchase a pillow when your's begins to show it's age. Happy Sleeping! Oh, and by the way, your pillows should be washed every once in a while and dried in the drier with a clean tennis shoe to help fluff them. Otherwise, they will just sit in the same place in your drier and not move and never really get dry. Don't know why it works. It's just an old wives tale that I learned long ago. This treatment is NOT for pillows filled with down stuffing. The end.