Organizing my over whelming craft room

+1
Happy New Year So as of September 2017 I moved my crafting area out of my garage and into one of my spare bedrooms, which was my stepdaughter's nursery. The room is about 8x8 with a sliding door closet. My children help me get everything organized, but a few unexpected death in the family along with a few weddings and the Christmas! I LOVE having my own quiet space and after raising 6 children ( which are a blessing for me. they came to me at the age of 6 and 11 years old) I finally have time for me. My question is, WHERE DO I BEGIN? My children laugh and call it " Michaels Craft shop" or " The dollar store" ANY NEW 2018 IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I would attach a picture if needed, but it's so embarrassing...lol

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 01, 2018
    https://www.hometalk.com/categories/organizing/craft-room
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 01, 2018
    Don't be embarrassed! You are on the first step to getting things under control. Before moving things into the room, get shelving or bookcases. You can even put them in your closet. Make a plan. Do it!! Do you need a desk or a large table? Sort things out before bringing anything into the room. Sort into types - sewing, beading, etc. if you do different types of crafts. Throw out now. After things are sorted, you'll know if you need to get tubs or just clear plastic shoe boxes. Label everything. You are on your way...
  • Joan Joan on Jan 01, 2018
    Since you raised 6 kids you probably have one or more dressers available. I have found that putting a dresser or two in the closet helps a lot. Leave a gap on one side of the dresser to store your larger flat items such as poster board. Organize your larger items first because it looks like you are getting more done faster and is encouraging. Put all of the small items in one place, such as a large plastic storage container, until you are ready to go through them, also helping you to avoid becoming overwhelmed. Organize one type of item at a time (such as beads or ribbons). Get a rack that hangs on the back of the door to store some of your canned items, (spray cans, paint bottles,etc.). Command hooks are fantastic for hanging a variety of items. Search Hometalk for organizing ideas. I have seen some great ideas using tension rods to store ribbons or hang spray bottles from. Don't spend a lot of money or put anything permanent up for awhile because you will probably change your mind about what works best for you many times until you get it right and you will want to be sure that you are happy long-term with your setup. I change things around every time I develop a new interest and my supplies and how often I use them change. LABEL EVERYTHING. There is nothing more frustrating than to have to search everywhere every time you need something. Keep together items that are commonly used together whenever possible. If you have the wall space, hang some supplies on hooks (such as fabrics, chains or hats) as a form of decoration until you use them. I wish I could be there to help because I love organizing things! Think of it as a project on its own and enjoy it!
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 01, 2018
    Pigeonhole storage on the wall Shelves, Chest of drawers, cabinets? Don't be embarassed, we are here to help if we can. Happy New Yea to you, and enjoy your new freedom.....