Material Of The Week: Milk Crates
We’ve ushered the new year in with lots of resolutions, and we’re sure you’ll agree that purging and organizing is on the top of the list! That’s why this week’s material of the week are milk crates.
If you can find these at a local grocery, they are great for repurposing when it comes to organizing and storage solutions. You can also get them here.
DIY Crate Stools For Storage
You’ll love these storage crates that double as stools, created by Hometalker Melissa Woods.
1. First, clean your crates, then spray paint them in fun colors of your choice!
2. Next, you’ll want to cut both squares of foam and plywood to fit on the top of the crates.
3. Cover the foam and plywood with material and use a staple gun to staple to the board. Melissa used old t-shirts which did the trick!
4. To finish, Melissa added thin wood boards to the bottom that will rest inside the milk crate, forming a lid for the crate from the “seat” of the stool. This gives the stool extra extra support to function as a stool. Use a brad nailer to secure the wood strips to the “seat”.
5. Pull up a seat and enjoy these awesome storage stools!
Shoe Storage Milk Crates
This shoe storage idea using milk crates is so easy, and looks amazing...you’ll love it!
Grab your crates, a drill and zip ties and you’ll have an awesome shoe storage solution in no time.
1. Start by drilling holes in two crates to connect them.
2. Use a zip tie to connect the crates.
3. Stack your crates, then ziptie them together. You can use as many as you want. Here, Hometalker Laci Jane used four to accommodate her small foyer.
4. Use the following guide to use to know where to drill and where to tie.
When you’re done, you can leave as is, or add a piece of scrap wood so it doubles as a small entry table. Laci added cloth bins for a polished touch.
See all materials
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info