I am putting my duplex built in 1979 on the market.

+3
I need to put my duplex built in 1979 on the market this Spring. I have replaced the air conditioner, furnace, sump pump, siding, new windows & roof to keep the duplex up to date. The twin attached to mine went into foreclosure & the bank is making major updates to the domain. Will the foreclosure affect my resale & what are the minimum low cost updates that l need to do to my duplex hopefully for a quick sale. I plan on painting the walls & getting carpet professionally cleaned to remove dog & cat odors & am open to offering the buyers a carpet allowance. It's located in a good area & within 15 minutes from preschool to 12th grade & in a wonderful school district. Thank you in advance for your comments & suggestions. Kind Regards

• Pjo26908388 Pjo26908388 on Jan 01, 2018
    Hi Karen,

It sounds like you've gotten the structural issues with your duplex in order. Be sure the wiring and plumbing are sound. If there are hardwood floors restore them as they'll get you some extra $ for the effort.

Painting is good, but keep in mind the new buyer will want to change it- go for a color that makes it feel spacious.

The foreclosure won't cause you a problem because a duplex is very desirable. And it sounds like it will be clean and sold by then.

There isn't a need to offer anything extra like a flooring allowance; but a home warranty is inexpensive and might be a selling point.

• Dfm Dfm on Jan 01, 2018
    Keep your place very very clean an un cluttered...if there is an awkward space stage it show how that area does work. Don’t show a completely empty house...many buyers can’t see the potential or visualize the spaces with out a bit of help. If it’s a bed room leave a bed in the room. Fix any thing that leaks,drips, Chang furnace filters. Be careful with scents...I went to view 1property opened the door was hit a very strong scent....I shut the door and walked away. Keep pets at a pet sitters when potential buyers come. Dogs can get territorial, and attempt to defend thier property. Cats can make a dash for the door. The bookcase pets fish, mice gerbles snakes...clean all cages...no bad smells and no pets on the dineing areas. Yes buyers will open the fridge to see if it works. As the seller you can leave certain items or take them like fridges stoves. Portable dish washers. You must state what you will be removing and taking with you.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 01, 2018
    I would go with light neutrals (not white, it's too stark). The staging will sell your home. Start purging and packing. Replace family pictures with attractive prints (easy to make your own) for a pop of color. Is there wood under the carpet? It would be worthwhile to pull up the carpet and refinish if so. Many people don't want carpet. Style each room simply, for its purpose. The more room that isn't filled with your stuff, the easier it will be to make it look roomy and inspire a prospective buyer. Remove any pets, at least for showings. Ask someone whose style you like to walk through and give you an opinion. I've found that we all become nose blind to pet odors and oblivious to minor things that might bug someone else. Good luck!
  • Typically they do not go back more than 90 days for comps. Where I live it is generally a "given" that the seller will provide a one year home warranty included in the sale of the home.

Sounds like you have everything in order - see what your realtor or listing agent suggests before spending any more money. Just keep the place spotless while on the market and make sure you have great curb appeal. A few fresh potted plants and a bit of porch decor - front door mat, good lighting - but don't go overboard.
  • Karen Lee Karen Lee on Jan 01, 2018
    I really appreciate your recommendations. You've provided excellent suggestions l haven't considered & l am definitely going to pursue them. Kind Regards & Happy New Year's
  • Karen Lee Karen Lee on Jan 01, 2018
    Thank you so much l really value your input. I had arranged a relator who toured my duplex & he provided me with low cost updates; however, l have to get a new relator & she comes highly recommended. No one has mentioned the 1 year warranty until you mentioned it here. I am focused on having it on the market this Spring so l will be able to enhance curb appeal with plants & flowers. Happy New Year's! Kind Regards