How to Faux Finish Weathered Wood Grain #BudgetUpgrade

$25

Do you love the Restoration Hardware tables that have that beautiful gray (driftwood-like) weathered wood? Me too. But, I can’t justify spending thousands of dollars on their furniture. Instead, I found a Craig’s List pedestal table that had the right shape and size for our kitchen. It was a cherry veneer finish, but after some paint you’d never know!

Full tutorial and instructions can be found here.

how to faux finish weathered wood grain budgetupgrade, painted furniture, woodworking projects

Basecoat and glazes. Full materials list is available on the blog.

Before you begin creating your wood grain, you should paint your surface with Valspar Woodrow Wilson Putty and allow it to dry. Start by dipping your dry brush into the medium glaze. Blot most of the glaze off onto a paper towel or rag.

Before the glaze can dry, drag and rock the wood grain tool through the dark glaze. When starting on the next row, I like to flip the wood grain tool around.

Wait for your grain to dry thoroughly. Then add the white wash layer to your surface. Dip the dry brush into the light glaze and blot most of it off onto a rag. Then VERY LIGHTLY drag the white-wash glaze over the table. This layer should skip over areas and be as random as you can manage.

The side of my pedestal table has an apron that is too small for the wood grain tool. So, I used a Martha Stewart wood grain comb for this area. It works well, but you won’t be able to create knots like the other tool can.

What do you think? Is this a good knock off of the $1,000 Restoration Hardware’s pedestal table? Or at least a close resemblance?

For a more durable surface, I recommend using the brush on polyurethane. It goes on thicker and creates a nearly impenetrable coating that will stand up to the worst messes your kids can dish out. However, you will need to brush on the poly in a well ventilated area and wait at least 24+ hours before using the table.

Full tutorial and answers to most questions can be found here.

Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl

• Sheila

Did the polyurethane yellow over this light finish. I see you did this project over a year ago. Thanks for the tutorial

• Lisa Culetta

Is this a warm greyish colour ? Sorry, I am trying to figure if I can incorporate your technique, to a piece of furniture that I have that is painted black (as the base colour)

• @Lisa Culetta Yes, it is a warm gray. You'd just need to paint over your black with the base color I specify. My original table was a dark mahogany color.

• Bso28466303

Do you need to sand the original surface?
  • Donna Pitts

I love the look but I have the same question, Does it have to be sanded first?
  • Linda Wilkison

Love love love the table. I have one I was thinking of doing something like this to. How did you do the pedestam part?
  • Janie

Absolutely beautiful - what color did you use on the base?
  • Becky

Is Asiago the gray paint ?
  • Mary

Did you have to sand it first? That’s the part I hate. I am looking to refinish my dining set without having to do that.

• Crystal

You could but it would be much better if you sanded. If you’re going to put the work in, you want it to last and look it’s best 🙃

• Sandy Buck

Does the table need to be sanded first has a brown finish on it now

• Michele

I just recently slightly sanded my dining room table. Basically the film of grime that just would not come off and the protective finish is gone. The color is fine. What do I use as the sealant now to put the finish back on? Is is it the polyurethane? Is there. Particular grade or something? Thanks in advance!

• Anne

This is lovely!! I have a table that I’d love to refinish. It has a stow-away leaf, which I love. But it is a nude butcher block finish, which I hate. It matches nothing, but Hubby saw me looking at it and so he bought it for me.  The problem is it has a really hard poly finish that is very difficult to remove. I got the seat of one chair done after hours of sanding. I’m not a youngster anymore and the sanding really gets the arthritis screaming! Any advice for an easier way to remove it?

• Angelina

Use a chemical stripper, before sanding.

• Ashley

There is an orange chemical stripper that smells good and isnt as toxic as the others. I use that. Just get a dollar store paint brush and brush it onto the surface, wait the recommended time, and scrape it off with a putty knife. You may have to go back and do some spot sanding, but this will most definately cut down on the work load :)

• Eric

I’ll second Ashley’s answer. I’ve done it like that and it really works well.

• Joyce Bowman

i would like to do this but I'd like to do it in a darker color oak maybe. Can that be done?

• Lana

How do I repair a tear in my leather couch?

• Dana Berger

Looks amazing.. love the color and thanks for sharing... ☺

• Melissa

My dining room table is real wood Except the actual top of the table. It is made to look exactly like the rest of it but it’s a different material. I’m guessing to make cleaning the top easier. Would this work for this type of table? I have been wanting to restore the table by sanding and refinishing it but the top being a different material has made me worry some about doing so. Thanks!