DIY Laundry Counter Workspace

$30

I just moved.
We sold our home and moved across the state to be closer to friends and family.
We looked for a home for a few months and finally found one suitable for our needs. Not all my boxes were checked. I STILL HAVE A LAUNDRY “ROOM” IN A CLOSET (bummer).

I decided I should probably make the best of it. I spoiled myself and purchased a front loading washer and dryer (so far I love them). But, the purpose of getting the front loading kind was so that I could build a countertop workstation on top of them and have a place to fold laundry other than the floor or couch.
diy laundry counter workspace
Here’s the space I had to work with (there are no doors on the closet).

My hopes and dreams will be to eventually relocate the water heater and get new cabinets, but for a BIG IMPROVEMENT with a MODEST BUDGET, here’s what I did…

I went to Lowe’s and bought one large (4×8 ft) piece of particle board (about 3/4 inch thick). READ THIS TIP: THEY WILL CUT IT FOR YOU!

My pieces measured approx 58 x 30 inches and 42 x 30 inches. One piece of particle board worked for the entire project (cost was about $20 for one sheet of particle board).
diy laundry counter workspace
Next, I primed (actually, my husband primed - that's not my arm).
diy laundry counter workspace
Then spray painted (Yes, spray painted the piece that would be used for the top). I used a hammered metal spray paint. It took 1 can.
diy laundry counter workspace
Finally, The product that I used to make a super pretty finish is called EnviroTex Lite Pour-On High Gloss Finish by EnviroTex; this product creates a fabulous high-gloss resin finish.

My thoughts on this product:
1) I’ve always wanted to try it.
2) I thought it’d be a challenge to use, but it was actually really simple (it’s a 1 to 1 ratio of Resin and Hardener). Plus, the instructional video on the website was very helpful.  Note: Be sure to follow directions carefully and use eye protection and gloves. The mixture doesn’t really splash, but you still want to be careful.
3) This product was odorless!!!
The most challenging part was waiting for it to cure (aka being patient)

Disclosure: This post was sponsored by ETI Envirotex, but all thoughts and opinions are my own.
diy laundry counter workspace
When the resin was cured, we installed it around my washer and dryer. There are a lot of pipes and things behind the washer and dryer and I wanted to cover them up yet keep them accessible, so I installed a little curtain in front of them (pieces of curtain that I’d cut off from my dining room curtains).

It looks so much cleaner!

Add a few decorations and it’s done!!!
diy laundry counter workspace
I can’t believe what a transformation this gave to my laundry area; and aside from the EnviroTex Lite Pour-On High Gloss Finish (which was provided), this makeover only cost me about $30!

I think this product provides the prettiest finish! It looks like I have a high-end countertop…and it’s really a piece of particle board!

To read MORE instruction and see MORE pictures, please click through to the blog link below.

Creatively Living

• Schroedfam

What did you use for trim pieces? How were they attached?

• X

Looks great. Where I live, ordinances don't allow for a water heater inside a living space. Is this in the garage?
    • Cynthia

If you read her story, she explains this is her laundry room space in the house...great job, don't you agree?
    • Barbara Baldwin

I wish we had that ordinance. Our tank is taking up half of the closet space in my bedroom 😡
    • 27524803

I believe that the water heater here is ELECTRIC ... there are no fumes to be concerned about.... Our laundry room is in the house too.
    • Linda

I've never heard of a water heater outside of living spaces. Everyone I know has theirs inside the house either in a hall closet, kitchen closet, or separate laundry room.
      By the way, great job! I love how you made of the most of an otherwise not so pretty space.
    • Sharon R

Our 50 gal. water heater (WH) was also in our laundry room and took up a HUGE amount of space. So, we had it removed and a "tankless" WH installed outside in our garage. Where the WH was, we found a wardrobe online for $25 (can now hang up clothes & put away linens in the drawers). Then we separated the Washer & Driver and topped them with a hollow core door ($15 at Lowe's closeout) that we wrapped in "plether" ($7.50 on sale). The laundry hamper is in the middle, behind the curtain separating the W/D. Give me lots of folding room and looks so pretty now. All for about $50.
      , This also has two large drawers on the bottom
    • Creatively Living

SO AWESOME SHARON!!! I'll have to check into the tankless WH, regardless, I'd like it to be moved to the garage (which isn't very far away). I love your colors!!
    • Creatively Living

I've actually never lived in a place where waterheaters are outside the living space.

• Carol

I believe the state's with a warmer climate all year long has their water heaters in the garage as well as their washer and dryers. I live in Michigan and there would be no way we could have our water heater in the garage in the winter. Below 0 temperatures would make it mighty tuff to keep it going!
    • X

The warm states have differing ordinances based on community development. The water heaters here are required to be in an exteriorly accessed small shed attached to the house, but not accessible from inside. Hope that clears up the mystery.
  • Brocho

Where is your lint filter? I suppose not on the top like mine is.
    • 27524803

The lint filter on my front loading dryer is inside the door at the front of the machine
    • Linda

Most of the new models I've seen have the filter just inside of the drum, on the lower inside.
    • Creatively Living

Yes, it's in the front when you open the door.
  • Mary Russell

I am curious what year,and who plumbed your water heater?
    • Creatively Living

I honestly can't tell you, I'm not sure. Sorry. We had our house inspected before we moved in...I know it's not perfect (I know what is incorrect) but the inspection passed anyway.
  • Bar25738218

How much resin did you use?
    • Creatively Living

It was under a gallon by a little but I had mixed extras to make sure I had enough. The box says how much square footage it covers.
  • Zee

Nice job, what a transformation!
    How did you finish off the raw edge of the particle board?
  • Nancy

Would that Envirotex work on kitchen counters?

• Joshua Tolson

What if you have a top loaded washer? Just do this over the dryer or cut it into 2 pieces with a hinged?

• Jean Vaillancourt

That is a brilliant idea! I was planning to have the area over the washer not covered but you have set my mind to spinning! Thank you!

• Neva Dew

I fold clothes on the lid of my top load washer and front load dryer- I don't see the problem so much.

• Karen

You used one piece for the countertop. What did you use the other piece for?

• Scarlet

It looks amazing !

The whole room looks like it was professionally done. KUDOS!!

• Jo Anne Gobble

This looks great! I want to do one over my dryer. Thank you!