Asked on Jan 2, 2018

How do hotels get their towels so white?

Janice Murphy McElhineyJanet PizaroTinyshoes
+6

I've soaked them in bleach and still can't get them bright white.

• Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Hi Janice,
    The article below should answer your question. Wishing you the best.
  • Lisa S.
    Lisa S.

Try 20 Mule Team Borax. Also Laundry Bluing. Just be sure to mix the bluing in water prior to adding to laundry.
  • V Smith
    V Smith

If your water has a high iron content it can leave your whites looking yellow or pinkish.
  • Becky
    Becky

While I do love good ol fashioned bleach, I've found there are some things that Oxi-Clean is better for. When I have something stubborn to get out, I'll soak the item in hot water with a few scoops of the powder for a few hours. Then launder as usual, and be sure to rinse well.
  • Becky
    Becky

Also, while bleach is a good disinfectant and will remove color, it doesn't take the place of soap or detergent. Residual oils will retain stains - so I will sometimes use prewash (Spray-n-Wash or Shout) on things that seem really grubby. I let it soak a lot longer than the label says to if it's a bad spot.
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

Use oxi clean powder. Put a scoop in the bottom of your washer before you add the water, warm or hot. Add less of our regular detergent and you will gradually see a nice change unless it is your water creating a problem. Too much soap can cause the problem too. The reason for putting the oxi clean in first is so that when the water runs into the machine it dissolves immediately and you get a much better wash. I tried the other method of adding it after the clothes were in the machine and it did not work.
  • Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes

More than likely bleach
    Janet Pizaro

it is the bleach....Use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda
  • Janice Murphy McElhiney
    Janice Murphy McElhiney

Thanks everyone. I'll keep on trying, using your suggestions