Jenni Ingram
Jenni Ingram
  • Wexford, PA

How to Fix Damaged Keyholes & Large Holes in Used Furniture

$20

I don't want you to pass on a chance to flip a piece of furniture that has some damage. Let me show you how to patch holes in wooden or veneer furniture.
how to fix damaged keyholes large holes in used furniture
A friend of mine was clearing out her storage room, and this piece was buried there.  I was happy to rescue it!  It has incredible details, but it was looking like it had seen better days.  

It looked like it was locked at some point and the keyhole was pulled through instead of unlocked. 
To fix the keyhole, first, you'll need to use some support for the patch to stick to.  I grabbed my popsicle sticks - which I use for everything from hole patching to paint stirring.  Attach it to the back of the hole with a little wood glue to keep it in place.  ( My blog post has a full rundown of the wood glue and other products I prefer to use)
As that dries, mix up your epoxy wood filler. Follow the directions on the back of the can - and mix up a small amount of the filler.  You'll add hardener to the filler which will allow it to dry quickly.  I always mix it on a disposable paper plate with another popsicle stick.  It's a little smelly so make sure you have good ventilation. 
Once it's all mixed up it will be a light orange/putty color.  Apply it to the hole.  You'll want to add MORE than you need to actually fill the hole. If you are too sparing here, the mark will show later.  
Apply it and let it dry.  This epoxy wood filler dries quickly - which is nice! 
Once it's all dry, grab some sandpaper - 120 grit - fold it up and get to work.  It will create some dust but just keep sanding until the spot is completely level with the surrounding area.
Vacuum the dust and this is what you are left with - a smooth finish, and once painted or stained no one will ever know it was there! 
Trim off the excess wood (mine actually popped off when I went to trim it) and you are finished.  

Finish your piece as desired, and it'll be our little secret that there was ever damage there to begin with! 

I hope this helps you open your eyes to giving new life to slightly damaged furniture. You can fix it!!

If you think you learned something from this project,  please subscribe to my weekly blog where I love to share my furniture painting, repairing and building projects!

Again, you can click on my blog from the link below to get a full list of products and a few extra pictures!!! If you search my blog, I even have a post on how to repair broken furniture legs and wobbly legs...

Also- find me on Facebook @RootsandWingsFurniture - I'd love to hear from you!!!
Jenni Ingram

• Linda McCauley

Where is the peanut butter.?

• Linda Sikut

Notice "peanut buttery" is in quotes. That was Hometalk's way of catching your attention, not a product that was used.

• Chubby58

Looks fantastic! The Bondo wood filler is the best. I used it on my deck, but unfortunately it was a total fail, but works great for everything else. I could only find it on Amazon. Where did you purchase yours?