Making a Fire Bowl.

$12

I wanted a fire bowl for my deck but they were so expensive. So I made one. I
Bought a terracotta bowl from Lowe's. It was $9.00. I spray painted it black.
making a fire bowl
I wanted it to look like a hand painted piece from Mexico. I had this coloring book.
making a fire bowl
I cut this section out of one of the pages.
making a fire bowl
I used transfer paper to trace it onto the bowl.
making a fire bowl
You can see the faint patterns here. I moved the pattern up and down as I went around the bowl.
making a fire bowl
I got out my trusty craft paints and used the bright colors of orange, yellow, green, blue, and red to paint the patterns.
making a fire bowl
Here is the beginning of the painting.
making a fire bowl
This is the finished painting. I filled it with egg rocks, $2.00 at Lowe's and placed a can of fuel in the middle.
making a fire bowl
You can use prettier rocks. I going to male more and I will use a layer of the lava rocks. That should be pretty.
making a fire bowl
You can't really see the flame. But it burns for 7 hours.
making a fire bowl
Without the flash.
Error loading player:
No playable sources found
I plan on making several for cozy spots around the deck.

• Debbie Vanburen

Most paints are flammable weren' you worried. And also did you use anything to seal the paint?
    • Diane Forte Barfield

Hi Debbie. I used acrylic paint and did seal it. I'm kind of new to posting and I think I left it out. I use a spray acrylic sealer. But these little cans of fuel burn in a very contained area. They are used in catering, camping, etc. Small flame. I used regular egg rock but I want to try lava rocks.
  • Barbara Dooley

What canned fuel do you use that lasts 7 hours?
    • Diane Forte Barfield

I bought it in the camping section of Walmart. I also bought some at Dollar Tree. Some have wicks and some just have a solid fuel you light. Both work great.
  • Honey

How big are the bowls? What are they made if?

• Dwi6064215

I did that with my fire pit. I put a piece of metal duct work in the middle of my fire pit and piled the rocks around it. I then placed refillable cans of citronella inside the ring and filled around the cans with more rocks to hold them in place. I topped off with rocks to cover the ring. It’s so nice to enjoy fire light without the smoke from wood.

• Dwi6064215

I did this last year with my fire pit. We first drilled holes in the bottom of the pit so water could drain. I then placed a round metal pipe (used for duct work) and piled rocks on the outside. I then placed refillable cans of citronella inside the ring and filled in the open space inside and outside the metal pipe with more rock. Now we can enjoy the look of a fire without the pesky smoke and keep mosquitoes away at the same time.