Whitewash Your Stone Fireplace for Under $20

$20

Did y'all know you can whitewash a stone fireplace? Super easy, very cheap, and can make a huge difference. I loved the stone fireplace in our home but it was more of an eyesore than a feature. I mixed up some whitewash (plain white flat latex paint mixed with water 50/50) and took a rag and started blotting on the whitewash. I could wipe off if it was too dark or add some if it was a little light. It was important to me keep the look of the stone so I kept it light. Here are some pics for y'all.
This is the before pic.
Any flat interior white paint will work.
These are handy to mix in because of the built in measurements plus they sell lids so you can store any extra you have left for another project.
In progress
Can you believe the difference.
Finished and ready for use.

• Jan Richardson

My grout is black. What do you in this case?

• Susan Peterson

So you don’t need to seal it with anything?? Love the look of it. And how did you clean it beforehand?

• Jessica

I didn’t seal mine. I just washed it with a scrub brush and some soapy water.

• Carol

Where did you get that awesome clock??

• Jessica

It’s been some time ago but I think it came from Kirkland’s.

• Jessica

That is funny, especially since we were under contract so quickly. I loved the area there and greatly miss it. Hopefully we will return to Georgia at some point in the future. Good luck in Guyton and thanks for sharing.

• Erica

Thank you so much for this awesome post. My husband and I bought a house in GA and I pinned your post as my first project to do and tonight we started the process! We’re so excited. Your Instructions were easy to follow and I’m confident we’ll be able to do it seamlessly. Thanks again!

• Patricia

I miss Georgia, too! We recently left Kennesaw and relocated out of state. We have a stone fireplace and matching wall that extends through the entryway. Whitewashing made yours look great. I'm going to do this.