Whitewash Your Stone Fireplace for Under $20

$20

Did y'all know you can whitewash a stone fireplace? Super easy, very cheap, and can make a huge difference. I loved the stone fireplace in our home but it was more of an eyesore than a feature. I mixed up some whitewash (plain white flat latex paint mixed with water 50/50) and took a rag and started blotting on the whitewash. I could wipe off if it was too dark or add some if it was a little light. It was important to me keep the look of the stone so I kept it light. Here are some pics for y'all.
This is the before pic.
Any flat interior white paint will work.
These are handy to mix in because of the built in measurements plus they sell lids so you can store any extra you have left for another project.
In progress
Can you believe the difference.
Finished and ready for use.

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk

• Susan Peterson
    Susan Peterson

So you don’t need to seal it with anything?? Love the look of it. And how did you clean it beforehand?

• Jessica
      Jessica

I didn’t seal mine. I just washed it with a scrub brush and some soapy water.

• Carol
    Carol

Where did you get that awesome clock??

• Jessica
      Jessica

It’s been some time ago but I think it came from Kirkland’s.

• Patty
    Patty

I love your fireplace! I’ve been wanting to do the white wash on mine but terrified to do it. Because I know there is no going back. I bought a couple of houses and the flagstone was painted white and I hated it. But I love how yours shows the different color variations. My fire place is darker than yours so would I add more water?

• Patty
      Patty

Thank you for replying! My husband saw your fireplace and automatically said I could do ours. He really likes yours. Lol. My fireplace is quite a bit darker than yours, so maybe I should add more water?

• Jessica
    Jessica

That is funny, especially since we were under contract so quickly. I loved the area there and greatly miss it. Hopefully we will return to Georgia at some point in the future. Good luck in Guyton and thanks for sharing.

• Patricia
    Patricia

I miss Georgia, too! We recently left Kennesaw and relocated out of state. We have a stone fireplace and matching wall that extends through the entryway. Whitewashing made yours look great. I'm going to do this.