Whitewash Your Stone Fireplace for Under $20

$20

Did y'all know you can whitewash a stone fireplace? Super easy, very cheap, and can make a huge difference. I loved the stone fireplace in our home but it was more of an eyesore than a feature. I mixed up some whitewash (plain white flat latex paint mixed with water 50/50) and took a rag and started blotting on the whitewash. I could wipe off if it was too dark or add some if it was a little light. It was important to me keep the look of the stone so I kept it light. Here are some pics for y'all.
whitewash your stone fireplace for under 20
This is the before pic.
Any flat interior white paint will work.
These are handy to mix in because of the built in measurements plus they sell lids so you can store any extra you have left for another project.
In progress
Can you believe the difference.
Finished and ready for use.

Jessica

• Belinda

Did you mix the whole gallon paint to one gallon water in a big bucket? Was it applied with a brush?

• Janet

she used a rag and blotted it on. The amount is 50/50 water/paint. The total amount would be up to you given the size of your FP.

• Laura St Romain

Your fireplace looks GREAT!! How did you walk the stone BEFORE beginning to paint. Mine is quite smoke damaged.

• Jan Richardson

My grout is black. What do you in this case?

• Veronica Costilla
    2 hours ago

Funny story! I stumbled upon this post when searching whitewashing and immediately recognized the fireplace! I actually viewed your home when it was for sale this summer. I absolutely loved it! We ended up buying in Guyton though. Thanks for posting this how-to!

• Jessica
    31 minutes ago

That is funny, especially since we were under contract so quickly. I loved the area there and greatly miss it. Hopefully we will return to Georgia at some point in the future. Good luck in Guyton and thanks for sharing.