Using Old Blinds as a Back-splash!

$25

I'm so happy to share this project I did over the summer in my kitchen! I've slowly been making progress on updating some things about my house that I have just never liked, including the lack of a backsplash!
I found these old, dirty 2 1/2 " plastic blinds at a yard sale for $5. That's my kinda deal! I started by cutting the strings that held them together and once I had them all free I cut the blinds (in stacks of 3 or 4) with my husband's miter saw.
i was kind of going for the subway tile look with my own spin on it. After I cut the slats in various lengths, I soaked them in KRUD KUTTER TSP to get the years of dirt and grime off of them. I also wiped down the area of walls that my backsplash was going.
I decided to use Liquid Nails in a caulk gun to adhere my "tiles" to the walls. I laid out a few at a time before sticking them up to make sure they looked right. The Liquid Nails gives you a little bit of time to move them around if needed before it dries good. The process went pretty quickly with the exception of having to cut around outlets and my kitchen window but since the blinds are plastic, i was able to use scissors for this.
Once I got all of my tiles up, I gave them two coats of white interior paint and then dry bushed with gray chalk paint. After the paint was good and dry I put on 3 coats of polycryli. I wanted to be able to wipe them down with a wet rag if needed. The polycrylic dried beautifully and is hard as a rock so I've been very pleased.
My last step was to caulk around the edges and any spot where there might have been a gap.
I have to say this is one of my favorite projects that I've done, it's updated the look of my kitchen tremendously! And I got it done over one weekend!!

Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself

• Angie
    Angie

I’d like to try this for the backsplash in my bathroom. Do you think it will hold up in there?

• Alisa Howard
    Alisa Howard

What is polycryli?

• Darla Hedge
      Darla Hedge

I think she just didn't add the "C" because in the next paragraph, she said polycrylic. I hope this help.

• Mildred Ellen Henry
    Mildred Ellen Henry

What other product of similar quality could I use for the topcoat, please.

• Candy Walsh
      Candy Walsh

This is usually my “go to” topcoat for projects likes this for a couple of reasons. One, with several coats it dries super hard and two, it doesn’t yellow at all. I’m sure there’s others you can try but I normally stick with what I know works for me.

• Sandra Lierle
    Sandra Lierle

• Tess
    Tess

I did this black splash in my condo and it came out great. I love it! I used tacky glue to put them up and worked awesome! it was so easy and made such a huge difference. I can't wait to try more things with the rest of the blinds i have.