Using Old Blinds as a Back-splash!

$25

I'm so happy to share this project I did over the summer in my kitchen! I've slowly been making progress on updating some things about my house that I have just never liked, including the lack of a backsplash!
I found these old, dirty 2 1/2 " plastic blinds at a yard sale for $5. That's my kinda deal! I started by cutting the strings that held them together and once I had them all free I cut the blinds (in stacks of 3 or 4) with my husband's miter saw.
i was kind of going for the subway tile look with my own spin on it. After I cut the slats in various lengths, I soaked them in KRUD KUTTER TSP to get the years of dirt and grime off of them. I also wiped down the area of walls that my backsplash was going.
I decided to use Liquid Nails in a caulk gun to adhere my "tiles" to the walls. I laid out a few at a time before sticking them up to make sure they looked right. The Liquid Nails gives you a little bit of time to move them around if needed before it dries good. The process went pretty quickly with the exception of having to cut around outlets and my kitchen window but since the blinds are plastic, i was able to use scissors for this.
Once I got all of my tiles up, I gave them two coats of white interior paint and then dry bushed with gray chalk paint. After the paint was good and dry I put on 3 coats of polycryli. I wanted to be able to wipe them down with a wet rag if needed. The polycrylic dried beautifully and is hard as a rock so I've been very pleased.
My last step was to caulk around the edges and any spot where there might have been a gap.
I have to say this is one of my favorite projects that I've done, it's updated the look of my kitchen tremendously! And I got it done over one weekend!!

• Veeta

How did you get them to lay flat?

• Paz Morris

HI, please what is the color of your cabinets ? It looks like a beautiful shade of dark blue & gray . Thank you .

• Mary

They are beautiful. I wonder who made them.

• Trish

My question is- could u use the faux wood ones for a rustic wall instead of crates or shiplap?

• Candy Walsh

I think that would look amazing! You'd need quite a few sets of blinds but if you can find them at yard sales or thrift stores it would make it much cheaper than the others and it's such an easy project to do!

• Theresa Holz

I did this project too, however, cannot get pictures to load. I "stained" my tiles with a green whitewash then rubbed off with a wax on, wax off finale. People have marveled over the fact this was all done with faux wood blinds. Oh, and the wood-grain looks fabulous! ***I have also used the blinds to make an adorable front door hanging for fall with a "wooden picket" fence and faux sunflowers!

• Pinkstilleto

This is the most brilliant idea I’ve seen in awhile on here, thank you for sharing!