Using Old Blinds as a Back-splash!

$25

I'm so happy to share this project I did over the summer in my kitchen! I've slowly been making progress on updating some things about my house that I have just never liked, including the lack of a backsplash!
I found these old, dirty 2 1/2 " plastic blinds at a yard sale for $5. That's my kinda deal! I started by cutting the strings that held them together and once I had them all free I cut the blinds (in stacks of 3 or 4) with my husband's miter saw.
i was kind of going for the subway tile look with my own spin on it. After I cut the slats in various lengths, I soaked them in KRUD KUTTER TSP to get the years of dirt and grime off of them. I also wiped down the area of walls that my backsplash was going.
I decided to use Liquid Nails in a caulk gun to adhere my "tiles" to the walls. I laid out a few at a time before sticking them up to make sure they looked right. The Liquid Nails gives you a little bit of time to move them around if needed before it dries good. The process went pretty quickly with the exception of having to cut around outlets and my kitchen window but since the blinds are plastic, i was able to use scissors for this.
Once I got all of my tiles up, I gave them two coats of white interior paint and then dry bushed with gray chalk paint. After the paint was good and dry I put on 3 coats of polycryli. I wanted to be able to wipe them down with a wet rag if needed. The polycrylic dried beautifully and is hard as a rock so I've been very pleased.
My last step was to caulk around the edges and any spot where there might have been a gap.
I have to say this is one of my favorite projects that I've done, it's updated the look of my kitchen tremendously! And I got it done over one weekend!!

Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas

• Janet

Would this work for a batten and board trim?

• Candy Walsh

I don’t see why not, that’s a great idea, just leave the blinds long only cutting off the ends where the holes are attach them vertically.

• Land

Looks like this project is from 2019, how has it held up?

I had a stack of extra slats left over and after hanging onto them for a fwe years and not being as creative as you were, I THREW them away! i am so mad at myself, but I'll look for more blinds and thanks for posting, your project looks awesome and I bet gives the kitchen a whole new look!

• Angie

I’d like to try this for the backsplash in my bathroom. Do you think it will hold up in there?

• Debi

Ingenious!

• Maude LaFountain

I have like 6 sets of these blind slats and that's just what I want to do in my kitchen ....I just wasn't sure what to use to hold them up with ,,,,Thanks for sharing I will be saving this so that I can do my kitchen and I am going to use Grey Chalk paint like you did and of course put a sealer on it too....Love it

• Candy Walsh

Thanks! They’ve really held up well, still looks like the day I finished it. Good luck with yours and please share when you’re done!!