Candy Walsh
Candy Walsh
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Conway, AR

Using Old Blinds as a Back-splash!

$25

I'm so happy to share this project I did over the summer in my kitchen! I've slowly been making progress on updating some things about my house that I have just never liked, including the lack of a backsplash!
from windows to walls
I found these old, dirty 2 1/2 " plastic blinds at a yard sale for $5. That's my kinda deal! I started by cutting the strings that held them together and once I had them all free I cut the blinds (in stacks of 3 or 4) with my husband's miter saw.
from windows to walls
from windows to walls
i was kind of going for the subway tile look with my own spin on it. After I cut the slats in various lengths, I soaked them in KRUD KUTTER TSP to get the years of dirt and grime off of them. I also wiped down the area of walls that my backsplash was going.
I decided to use Liquid Nails in a caulk gun to adhere my "tiles" to the walls. I laid out a few at a time before sticking them up to make sure they looked right. The Liquid Nails gives you a little bit of time to move them around if needed before it dries good. The process went pretty quickly with the exception of having to cut around outlets and my kitchen window but since the blinds are plastic, i was able to use scissors for this.
from windows to walls
from windows to walls
Once I got all of my tiles up, I gave them two coats of white interior paint and then dry bushed with gray chalk paint. After the paint was good and dry I put on 3 coats of polycryli. I wanted to be able to wipe them down with a wet rag if needed. The polycrylic dried beautifully and is hard as a rock so I've been very pleased.
My last step was to caulk around the edges and any spot where there might have been a gap.
I have to say this is one of my favorite projects that I've done, it's updated the look of my kitchen tremendously! And I got it done over one weekend!!
from windows to walls

• Barbara

I’m thinking of using the blinds as a chair rail in my bathroom. Did you do anything to get rid of the notches in each blind panel?

• Candy Walsh

yes, when I cut the blinds I just cut those off. It's worth the extra step to not have the notches show.

• Cheryl LeCreux

That looks fantastic! Did you put anything between the rows? As in, something to seal the cracks?

• Candy Walsh

No, I sure didn't, I just butted them up next to each other and tried to lay it out so the seams didn't line up because I wanted them staggered. I did use caulk around the edges like the window sill and countertops and then sealed The whole thing. Thanks for your interest!

• HFredda

Plastic or wood? Please clarify.

I love ❤️ your cabinet color!!!

• Tina

Very nice!

• Carolyn Jernigan

OMG!! I wanted a back splash but the cost .....well ya know what I mean, and had old dirty blinds I kept hanging on to because I was to lazy to take them to the garbage.....dugh..... Now they are a gift and so are you!!!

• Candy Walsh

Thank you so much! They have really held up well and still look great! Good luck with yours and share when you've finished!