Using Old Blinds as a Back-splash!

$25

I'm so happy to share this project I did over the summer in my kitchen! I've slowly been making progress on updating some things about my house that I have just never liked, including the lack of a backsplash!
I found these old, dirty 2 1/2 " plastic blinds at a yard sale for $5. That's my kinda deal! I started by cutting the strings that held them together and once I had them all free I cut the blinds (in stacks of 3 or 4) with my husband's miter saw.
i was kind of going for the subway tile look with my own spin on it. After I cut the slats in various lengths, I soaked them in KRUD KUTTER TSP to get the years of dirt and grime off of them. I also wiped down the area of walls that my backsplash was going.
I decided to use Liquid Nails in a caulk gun to adhere my "tiles" to the walls. I laid out a few at a time before sticking them up to make sure they looked right. The Liquid Nails gives you a little bit of time to move them around if needed before it dries good. The process went pretty quickly with the exception of having to cut around outlets and my kitchen window but since the blinds are plastic, i was able to use scissors for this.
Once I got all of my tiles up, I gave them two coats of white interior paint and then dry bushed with gray chalk paint. After the paint was good and dry I put on 3 coats of polycryli. I wanted to be able to wipe them down with a wet rag if needed. The polycrylic dried beautifully and is hard as a rock so I've been very pleased.
My last step was to caulk around the edges and any spot where there might have been a gap.
I have to say this is one of my favorite projects that I've done, it's updated the look of my kitchen tremendously! And I got it done over one weekend!!

• Nana

Hi I was just wondering if you couldv'e applied grout to the backsplash to fill the gaps?
    • Candy Walsh

Hi! i didn't leave any gaps between the blinds but I did use caulk around all the edges and window sill. I'm sure grout would work fine if you did choose to leave gaps, I just liked the look of them being butted up against each other. Thanks for the question, I hope this helped!
  • Sharon Layman-Greer

Great job! Looks just like subway tile. Approximately how thick are these blinds and are they the ones that look like wood rather than thin plastic? Also, did you have to use some type of electrical outlet extenders? Thank you!

• Candy Walsh

I'm not sure how thick they are, but theyre not the skinny plastic ones. And yes, some of them have a wood grain in them, but mine didn't. I didn't have to use outlet extenders, I just screwed them on right over the blinds.

• Dorothy Sittler

NICE!

Does anyone know how to restring blinds? I have a new set and one of the slats near the top broke. They are not mine. I am renting. The landlord did not mount them properly and here I am. I do not need the full length to cover the window.

• Albertmay

When we moved into our home, the previous owner had custom plastic vertical blinds on every window. We replaced them with drapes. Any suggestions on a DIY for all those blinds?

• Candy Walsh

Are they the thick kind? About 3"? I think they would look great as a shiplap accent wall, maybe in a bathroom.

• Grace

Great job on the blinds, I thought you posted that the blinds were plastic? The materials call for wood blinds?

• Phyllis Williams

It says “faux” wood. Did you leave the holes where the strings were, or cut them off?

• Janet Williams

Faux wood is not wood.

• Dor28827347

Materials list calls for “faux” wood blinds. “Faux” is French for “false”. Therefore, it means “false wood” (i.e. plastic) blinds.

dj Madiso, WI

• Candy Walsh

Thanks everyone for clarifying that these are plastic blinds. And Phyllis~I cut the holes off of them.

• Deborah Berkman-Parisi

Was wondering how the polycrylic sealer you used over the chalk paint held up and if you had any yellowing effect using it over white? Many thanks for your help with this!

• Candy Walsh

its holding up beautifully, I've had no yellowing at al, and they're so easy to keep clean.

• Donna Marie Ledington

Polycrylic is a no yellowing topcoat.. The yellowing comes in when one uses oil based varnish because of the petroleum in the varnish. She should have a crystal clear finish always with the polycrylic.

• Millie

Beautiful ! I may try to use this in remodelIng my 1950 bathroom.

• L. Creative

It’s true! SOME of us are old enough to know about varnish and it’s yellowing on wood and anything else it was used on over time. The polyurethane they have out now does not seem to have any drawbacks!

• Candy Walsh

I love using the polycrylic because it never yellows and is water based.

• Deborah Berkman-Parisi

• Attic closet

can u explain how to "dry brush chalk paint"?

• Sheryl Gregory

After getting a bit of paint on the brush, remove most of it by "painting" back and forth on a cloth or paper toweling until your brush is nearly dry. Then brush it lightly over your project surface until you have the look you want from the "dry" brushing.

• Bonnie Morris

Well done.

• L. Creative

This look makes it look similar to marble tile, nice and super creative idea!

• Candy Walsh

Thanks Cheryl, that's a perfect description of dry brushing.

• Robbie Cotterman

Can these be painted?

• Joyce White

yes, you can paint them.

• Sherry

Read the post.. she did paint them....

• Candy Walsh

Yes, I did paint them, just make sure they're good and clean.

• Brittney Hash

Before I saw this tutorial, I was just kicking around idea using faux wood binds, but I need to add color to my kitchen. This pic is just how I laid them on the floor as i was brainstorming

• Sna12948721

Love this! Did you have to stop at a place that was not a corner. My lower counters stop at the frig and trying to figure what to do with the edge, or did you use caulk?

• Sna12948721

• Candy Walsh

Yes, I have a stopping point at the end of my counter/bar and I just tacked up a small piece of trim to give it a Moreno finished look.

• Mary Tickner

Are these the plastic blinds or the wood blinds?

• Mary Tickner

• Margaret

Plastic. She talks about being able to cut them with scissors for around outlets, etc. because they are plastic.

• Mary Tickner

• Olga Margareth Ramos

Can do this at bathroom walls - not in the bath tube ones?

• Olga Margareth Ramos

• Candy Walsh

I don't see why not, I think it would look great in a bathroom!

• Olga Margareth Ramos

• Wandamurline

I know these are faux wooden blinds, but will they buckle from heat at the stove?

• Candy Walsh

No ma'am, they don't get warm at all. I think they're far enough away from the heat.

• Pot24827840

Do you think it would be ok to use in the bathroom above the tile.Will moisture from the shower make them warp?Can I use this over wallpaper in the bathroom.Awesome idea.Going to try this after I hear from you.

• Candy Walsh

To be honest this was my first time doing this so I’m not sure how it do in a bathroom. I don’t see any reason why you can’t tho, good luck!

• Vicki Clayton

I'm confused, you said you had plastic blinds but then said you had wood blinds. Then for supplies you said wood. Which did you use and suggest?

• Candy Walsh

Sorry for the confusion , it actually says "faux" wood blinds, the blinds are plastic. Thanks for looking!

• Vicki Clayton

I just read all of the posts and found my answer.

• Rita Blueweiss-Bousquet

How did you get paint to adhere? Did you prime first?

• Susan

if these are the "faux wood" blinds - they would probably accept paint without any prep - but it couldn't hurt to sand a bit if you're not sure... and try it on a scrap piece of a slat.

• Mike Evans

how thick are the blinds?

• Susan

the slats on these kind of blinds are usually around 1/4 inches thick,

then 2 inches wide and any length from 24 to 84 and even more.

• Mm215763110

What did you use on your cabinets ? Beautiful !!

• Mm215763110

• Mcgypsy9

I love the look and I love the idea. My only question would be why did you use liquid nails? That’s a pretty permanent glue.

• Donna Marie Ledington

Just as permanent as ceramic tile I would guess.. Maybe she wanted permanent.

• Rosel Kynast

Yes it is. Hello!

• Ret Grant

It will still remove large chunks of wall if she ever decides to change the look. You can't sand it down, you have to pull it off and take what it grabs with it. New dry wall.

• Candy Walsh

I do want it permanent, and also wanted to make sure they were secure and not pop off. Thanks to all of you!

• Fly9008013

you said you used plastic blinds. Why the ad for wooden blinds?

• Sue O'Ferrell

i think because 'faux' wood blinds ARE plastic, tho' I'm not sure about cutting them with scissors.

• Melissa V

Sue, good scissors, like the ones you can get free at Harbor Freight, are great for these DIY projects.

• Linda Johnson

I thought the same thing about what it was plastic or wood ??? Thanks for the clearing it up

• Fly9008013

Plastic blinds have a curve in them. Did this remain or were you able to flatten them out with the type glue you used and have them stay flat quickly?

• Sue O'Ferrell

she means the 'faux' wood plastic blinds, probably 2" wide, which are straight, not the very thin plastic about 1" wide that has a curve.

• Melissa V

I am looking at my 2-1/2” faux wood blinds and they are curved. I was going to ask the same question-how did you make them flat?

• Revere-Shirley

Mine are the same size, but flat.

• Sandyo

Even the curved blinds when cut with scissors make fine plant labels when stuck in the ground. Wont rust either nor rot.

• Deb Mahre

(Caveat: I don't really shop for blinds very often, so I can't say what might be on the market now). I have faux wood blinds, that are about 1/8" thick. The 'faux' indicates they have a texture that resembles wood grain. Mine are flat as a pancake. I suppose they could make them curved, but I've only seen curved blinds in the super thin style. I would definitely use the thicker, flat blinds if the goal is to resemble tile. Plus, the flat surface would be needed for adherence.

• Candy Walsh

Thanks for all of your comments~the blinds I used were flat and adhered with liquid nails.

• Linda

Great idea, I also loved the color of cabinets. Did you paint them?

• AlphaButterfly

Yes, they are a beautiful color. What color and brand, please? Awesome backsplash idea! What vision you have to see past the obvious.

• Candy Walsh

Yes , I did paint them and thanks!! I'll look for the paint color I used and let ya know!

• Nancy Johnson

I already have tile as my (regular square) backsplash! I am ready for an upgrade -- will this work on the tile already there????? Thank you!

• Candy Walsh

I'm not sure, since mine went straight on the sheet rock it was a flat surface to adhere to.

• Marg Wood

If you don't want to take down the tile, I would recommend you cover it up with some waterproof boarding (same as you would use in a shower) then apply the mini blind slats. The downside to that is you would be adding a lot of thickness that may extend over the counter's backsplash.Removing the tile would give you the best results.

• Loi Hamm

Would this work over wallpaper or do I need to remove it?

• Candy Walsh

I wish I had an answer for you but I've never done this over wallpaper, but I think if you cleaned the surface really well it would work!

• Kathy Allen

I used to hang wallpaper professionally, and my answer always was if the old paper was stuck really well, then you could paint, wallpaper or tile over it.

• Loi Hamm

Thank You

• Beverly Vigue-Tonkin

Great idea. I suppose you could cut them a little shorter for a different look. I have to say I love the color of your cabinets and would love to know the name too. Thanks so much

• Chery Andrews

I just love that. But do you think that the plastic ones would work. I have a bunch of those.

• Annabbykarefre Alfinda

Are your blinds the flat plastic ones or the faux wood blinds that are flat? Or are they the plastic blinds that have a bit of curve to it? How did you work aroud that “ slight curvature” of the blinds?

• Annabbykarefre Alfinda

• Candy Walsh

They are the flat plastic ones like the faux wood ones so there was no curve to them. Thanks!

• Annabbykarefre Alfinda

• Xiomi954

I used faux wood did a wall in the bathroom and living room of wainscotting ,and ,a wall of shiplack and it's great and inexpensive.Try the floor or ceiling too.Thats my next project.

• Sandy Conte

I like the idea project my question is I already have tile on it I don’t want to remove it bc it going to b a messy job so can I go over the tile what kind of glue I can use thanks Sandy

• Cathy Glad

I also have exiting tile that I do not want to remove, did you ever find out if you can go directly over the tile with the cut blinds?

• Becky Miller

It should be ok, as long as your tiles are super clean. I've used liquid nails on lots of projects with no problems. If your tiles are glossy, try sampling in inconspicuous spot (small).

• Lancegs

Love the backsplash. We do not have a miter saw. Is that necessary?

• Wilton Sonja

Love this idea for blinds. Also, can you tell me what color paint was used on your cabinets...love it too. Thank you. Sonja

• Candy Walsh

Thank you! The cabinets are in a color called Raven's Wing and I believe it was Glidden but not positive. They're supposed to be dark gray but came out looking more blueish but I love them!

• Wilton Sonja

Thank you. Your kitchen looks beautiful.

• Chrispyjane.designs

Hi at the beginning you said they were plastic, then it says they are wooden please confirm which one thanks

• Linda Robbins

I believe they are plastic. Later it said faux wood, which means like some I have, they were made to look like wood but are made of plastic.

• Candy Walsh

Exactly Linda! They are plastic with the look of wood grain on them.

• Barbara

I’m thinking of using the blinds as a chair rail in my bathroom. Did you do anything to get rid of the notches in each blind panel?

• Candy Walsh

yes, when I cut the blinds I just cut those off. It's worth the extra step to not have the notches show.

• Cheryl LeCreux

That looks fantastic! Did you put anything between the rows? As in, something to seal the cracks?

• Candy Walsh

No, I sure didn't, I just butted them up next to each other and tried to lay it out so the seams didn't line up because I wanted them staggered. I did use caulk around the edges like the window sill and countertops and then sealed The whole thing. Thanks for your interest!

• HFredda

Plastic or wood? Please clarify.

I love ❤️ your cabinet color!!!

• Candy Walsh

Thanks, these are plastic

• Debbie

Under the supplies list it says 2 1/2" faux wood blinds. It would take forever to use the little 1" plastic mini blinds.

• Joan Creen

Are these the plastic blinds or the wood blinds ?

• Jmk590

Plastic- The article states plastic as she said she could use scissors to cut around outlet because the blinds were plastic.

• Sandra Ross Warren

Looks really good you wouldn't know they weren't real tiles.

• Sandra Ross Warren

I do wish you would have taken a photo from a distance so we could see the overall impact.

• Candy Walsh

Thanks, I'll try to add more pics!

• Nancy P Alemany

The blind idea is brilliant but what I REALLY love is the color of your cabinets! I've still got the old dark wood cabinets that came with the house from the 80's. Did you paint the cabinets yourself?

• Candy Walsh

YES i did , they were an old grungy white color that I hated. This is sherwin Williams raven wing.

• Chris

Do you have a couple of extra pictures you can show us? Thanks!

• Annie Douglas

I am wondering if you could cut the slats a bit longer, stagger the ends and make it look like ship lap? With the small amount of back splash we would have to do this is super cool! Thank you for sharing.

• Cindy

The great thing about DIY is being able to make it your own. I would lay it out on a table first to see if you do really like how it's going to look. That way is always easier to recreate your idea than trying to pull it off the wall halfway through. Try it!! Then share your finished project

• Diana

So creative! Your kitchen counters are just like mine. Are you planing anything creative with them? Please post if you do!

• Candy Walsh

I am planning on painting them, just haven't got to it yet. I think I'm kind of intimidated by it, lol

• Jane

wondering about the outlet cover, how you made it flush with wall

• Nelsontrio

They sell spacers you install behind the outlet screws to make them flush with the new surface. Once you do that, you just screw on the cover.

• Nancy

Thanks! I've been saving an extra long set of blinds to do the job- just working it out in my brain still! So glad to have your method to go by.

• Della Tompkins

Now THAT is creative! Your backsplash looks amazing. Your mind is amazing. I will definitely have to try this. Great job!🏆

• Debra

At the start you said plastic blinds and in the material list it says faux wood, which did you use.

• Joyce

plastic and faux wood are one in the same product hope this helps you

• Lifestyles Homes

My observation has been that the Materials List is generated by HT and Amazon, not the author.

Therefore, plastic.

• Candy Walsh

Yes, they are plastic with the look of wood

• Julia

Faux means fake as in something that looks like the real thing but isn’t.

• Cher

such a great reuse/repurpose idea! I might be stealing this one as I have old blinds myself but needed an idea to reuse the material instead of going to a land fill!

Thank you for this smart idea!

• Sharo Lillian

I was wondering if there would be any kind of issue with that material behind the stove?

• Chakka1

I'm sure the heat would destroy it. Why not just use ceramic tile? can be pretty cheap and looks a little bit easier..

• Mona Blake

Never use plastic or paper behind the srove!

• Candy Walsh

Ive had this up for well over a year with absolutely no problems around the stove, it wipes clean just like it always had and has never shown any sign of melting.

• Jacquie Carter Olender

People wallpaper behind their stoves all the time. She coated it with a "ply" so I would think there would not be an issue.

• Jacquie Carter Olender

"poly", sorry. :)

• Ginny

I’m concerned about all the products you used, are-they all FIRE PROOF as well? Using the back-burners, and flames on-high setting, what if there is a oil-splash & the flames go onto your backsplash?? I would inquire about all your paint products. (Most of these PAINT products, say on the/can “CAUTION” may catch fire!!!

• Lois

Great idea. Who would have thought of this?? Will definitely do this. Love

• H

When you want to change out the backsplash, how do you remove it without destroying the wall?

• Candy Walsh

Honestly I haven't thought that far in advance, I'm still loving it, lol.

• MahtaMouse

I would assume just like the wood wainscot boards I took down... a wide putty knife (tapping on the handle with a hammer) and a bit of elbow grease; followed up with some drywall Spackle, light sanding, and a coat of a good quality paint containing primer (or primer and then paint). If the wall was originally textured, spray texture in a can is the best homeowner's DIY invention EVER!

Project looks great; I'm impressed!! Wish my old plastic blinds were flat instead of curved; I'd try this in a heartbeat!!

• Maryanne

Yes, you can reglaze them just like reglazing a bathtub. Try Painted Otter. They do good work.

• Nicole Loughman

Liquid Nails is a very hard glue, so removing slats and and getting glue off would be tough, just like removing shower stall vinyl walls. The glue doesn’t scrape off, you pretty much need a belt sander the get it off unless it’s on a glazed surface. If on drywall or wood, can’t get of without destroying that. Liquid Nails is a brand with many types. Maybe there is a type that isn’t so permanent in nature. Read the labels.!

• Vega Gloria

can you paint kitchen tiles to give new look versus replacing the countertops?

• MahtaMouse

Are you talking about back splash tiles? There's paint specifically made for that purpose. Try Googling or better yet, do a search on YouTube for "Painting Kitchen Tiles" (and/or bathroom tiles) and you'll get all kinds of DIY videos of people painting their tiles. I'd definitely watch more than one video tho, to get all the best hints, info and ideas.

If you're talking about counter top tiles (just re-read your question), there is still paint made for that purpose. Try Googling and definitely do a YouTube search for real people's real life experience, ups and downs and hints.

• Bruna Spadaro

Hello, by any chance you know how to use old blinds to make a backbone for curtains that fold up? Tks,

• Are blinds curved? Can you get flat ones?

• Candy Walsh

YES you can, the ones I used are flat. I run across them a lot at yard sales

• Charlotte

When you start this discussion you say "plastic blinds". In the picture you show" wooden blinds" and in your material list you say wooden blinds. Which is it plastic or wooden?

• Jodie

I think they are plastic. The "faux wood" just means that they have the appearance of wood, but are indeed plastic. I have the exact ones in my home, which gives me a great idea

• Candy Walsh

Exactly what Jodie said, thanks!

Note the word “faux” before the word “wooden”!!!

• Rose Ellen

Are they plastic or faux wood?

• Victoria

Plastic or faux wood?

• Judith

I LOVE this idea ! But, subway tiles are each about 6" long. Did you cut these lengths into the shorter "tile lengths" or did you use the blinds in their "blinds length" ?

Very nice job !!! They look CLASSY !!!

.

• Sara Sella

It says “various” lengths for the cut pieces. Does anyone have any guidance on how many different lengths you should have to work with?

• Laura Boell

Just do it! Use whatever length tickles your fancy!

• Kelly

Research tile laying... But.... In other videos they choose 2 lengths as their bas. For example the second length being 3/4ths of the first and lay those alternatingly.

• Jaimee

In the beginning it says plastic blinds ,But in the materials it says wood faux blinds so which is it ?

• Vonnie

Do you have any other ideas for reusing mini blinds.

• Ellen

For kids letters, numbers, division, addition, subtraction, multiplication. Cut them & Put on a ring each set them flip then with teaching .

• Shirl

Liquid Nail is a strong bonding agent, what if I wanted to change this look in a few years? Wouldn't the Liquid Nail pull the original plaster off the wall along with the faux pieces?

• Cheryl

It leaves an awful mess. I would probably use regular tile caulk. But that, too, will be difficult to get off again.

• Chris Olson Phillips

Can someone explain the purpose of the grey chalk paint? The “tiles” look good but also smeared and a bit dirty. Maybe that’s the look she wanted? Altogether a very creative project!

• Cheryl

Not sure, but I wonder if I could paint them to look like old wood.

• Deborah

I think it was to give it a distressed look. Shabby chic.

• Candy Walsh

You're right, I wanted the distressed look and love how they came out. They don't look dirty at all.

• BentonanJo

Very clever idea.

• Rich

Are you sure those blinds were plastic or vinyl? I’ve never seen 3/16” thick plastic or vinyl blinds but I have seen wood. Wood is much easier to cut in a chop or miterbox saw. It doesn’t chatter the material....

• Cid Peirce Quakenbush

I'm not real clear on this?🤷 It looks beautiful, but the materials needed say wood blinds, but she claims since the blinds are plastic she was able to cut with scissors? So are they wood or plastic?

• Consuelo

U could use eather one

• Sally

I thought she said she used a miter saw. That would be best for a clean cut.

• Dorothy Gehring

She says "faux wood" in the resources needed section

• Candy Walsh

They are plastic blinds with a faux wood appearance. I used the miter saw to cut several slats at a time and used scissors for trimming them around the outlets and window. Hope this helps clarify, thanks!

• Nancy

They are faux wood

• DaWanda

Faux wood.

• Valerie Fontecchio

I think it looks wonderful! Very ingenious!!! WOW!

• Mary Roberts

I noticed you have cut the blinds in different lengths would you please tell me what lenght to cut the blinds

• Candy Walsh

Hi Mary, I didn’t use any specific measurements, I just made sure all the long ones were the same as well as the short ones.

• Stacey

Faux wood is wood, plastic blinds bend are cheaper, just wondering because I have plastic ones I was going to toss???

• Candy Walsh

The blinds I used are plastic with the look of wood, which is called faux wood. Thanks!

• Kim Compo

I thought they all had a slight arch in them, how did you get them to lie flat or are the faux wood different??

• Vickie

I really like the color of your cabinets. Can you tell me the color name?

• Peggy Beaty

At one point you said you found plastic blinds. But int the material list it says wood. What is it?????

• Jeanna Caroline

It says FAUX wood, which means looks like-but isn’t.. so they are plastic.

Such a clever repurposing idea Candy!

There are so many options for utilizing these old discarded blinds too! I was thinking use larger pieces to do an accent wall.

• Steven L Douglas

It says "faux wood", which means fake wood, plastic that is textured to resemble wood.

• Betty

But they are thicker, like wood, rather than vinyl miniblinds, right?

• Heather

Im not sure what she meant, but i do know you can buy those types of blinds plastic with a wood finish look to them, maybe thats it.

• Monica

How is the plastic holding up to the heat of the stove?

• Nettie Patricia

W color paint would tu vse to look morf like brrick?

• Candy Walsh

Depending on the color of brick you want, I would say browns and creams

• Demetra

Did you caulk the holes where the strings once was?

• Brandi Nicole Phelps

How long ago did u do this project? This is a great idea! And u have definitely inspired me!! I have some of these blinds sitting in a closet begging to be utilized. I'm hoping ur answer will justify the fact that I've had them tucked away for nearly a year lol

• Candy Walsh

It was two summers ago and it still looks like I just did it. Good luck with yours!

• Brandi Nicole Phelps

How long ago did u do this project? I have some of these blinds sitting in a closet begging to be utilized. I'm hoping ur answer will justify the fact that I've had them tucked away for nearly a year lol

• Veeta

How did you get them to lay flat?

• Paz Morris

HI, please what is the color of your cabinets ? It looks like a beautiful shade of dark blue & gray . Thank you .

• Trish

My question is- could u use the faux wood ones for a rustic wall instead of crates or shiplap?

• Candy Walsh

I think that would look amazing! You'd need quite a few sets of blinds but if you can find them at yard sales or thrift stores it would make it much cheaper than the others and it's such an easy project to do!

• Theresa Holz

I did this project too, however, cannot get pictures to load. I "stained" my tiles with a green whitewash then rubbed off with a wax on, wax off finale. People have marveled over the fact this was all done with faux wood blinds. Oh, and the wood-grain looks fabulous! ***I have also used the blinds to make an adorable front door hanging for fall with a "wooden picket" fence and faux sunflowers!

• Pinkstilleto

This is the most brilliant idea I’ve seen in awhile on here, thank you for sharing!