Girl's Chair Makeover

$20

I found this wonderful solid, small chair at a thrift shop last spring and knew I had to pretty it up for my adorable niece. It was a fun and easy project to do and I hope you get ideas from this and give it a try yourselves!
I used paint, scrapbook paper and glue for this makeover.
girl s chair makeover
This is the before photo of the chair I bought. It is a solid petite chair, which was perfect for my young niece who is three years old.
girl s chair makeover
It was in perfect shape and needed no fixing at all, other than a paint job to make it pop and take on a new life.
girl s chair makeover
After I cleaned the whole chair with a rough rag and some Krud Kutter (a degreaser and deglosser liquid), I spray painted primer all over it. I have painted, by brush, a number of chairs and let me tell you... if you can spray paint a chair, then go for it! Those spindles take a lot of time to cover nicely by brush. I used Rustoleum 2X Flat White Primer.
girl s chair makeover
I don't have step by step photos, sadly, as I was very excited about the process once I started it and never stopped to take any pictures. I covered the primer in a turquoise spray chalk paint, Krylon Chalky Finish in Tidal Blue. I then used acrylic craft paints for the spindles on the back and bottom of the chair, to add a soft pink/salmon and a metallic gold.
girl s chair makeover
I decided the chair needed some fun cutouts from scrapbook paper to make it unique, so I carefully cut some patterns out of a couple of papers I have and used Mod Podge to cover them here and there. Because the Mod Podge is a sealant and slightly glossy, I also used it as a 'varnish' of sorts and painted it over the entire chair to make it durable and washable. I wouldn't vigorously scrub the chair, but it will withstand a wiping now and then.
girl s chair makeover
Details of some of the cutouts I decoupaged onto the seat.
girl s chair makeover
girl s chair makeover
I gave the chair to my sweet niece at Christmas and she just loves it! I don't have a photo of it in its final space, in her room, but her excitement about it made me very happy!
girl s chair makeover
It is just the right size for Emma now and will last many years. Her brother might want to claim the chair, but I signed it underneath with a permanent marker, so it is literally Emma's chair! LOL