My Very Own Custom Ceiling Light Medallion for less than $3

I did not like the mass produced ceiling light medallions and since I needed one to put back up my favorite 'faux' crystal chandelier (which I bought over 16 yrs ago marked down to $20 for m$179 so I had a hard time letting go 5 houses later)...anyhow, I had left over fabric and new gold frame (hoarders garage sale for $1) which I spray painted silver hammered to match the chandelier (which I had spray painted the brass a few years back. took me about an hour to make and I am so happy it hides the mismatched ceiling paint and the flaws! You could use any frame and now I am on the hunt for odd shaped frames to make another one for breakfast area light.
my very own custom ceiling light medallion, diy, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling
I love this chandelier with its new medallion!
My $1 garage sale gold oval frame which I spray painted hammered chrome/silver
I thought this looked kind of chic with my left over fabric
The 4" flower pot was perfect for the holes size!
See the slits I cut? Started from the center (make sure to measure so you get the hole centered!) and cut several slits back to the outline of your 4" circle. I outlined the flower pot with the white marking pin.
I actually fused the extra black fabric to stiffen up just a bit and to iron down the slits I made for the hole. I cut the hole starting in the middle and made several pie cuts and opened up the slits and ironed down
I fused fused the black and zebra together
I cut the fabric all the way around so I could flip it over to hot glue in the groove only!
finish up cutting the oval and getting ready to glue
I hot glued the fabric very carefully in the groove so that the frame sits flush with the ceiling. Lightly stretching just so the fabric is not gathered. I glued one side about 2" and moved to the opposite and did another 2" strip of glue then I just slowly glued it around trying to keep it flat.
My mismatched ceiling-to make a long story short, I had no more ceiling paint to cover someone else's mistakes.
I have a small air compressor so I used 2" brad nails to affix to the ceiling
Almost done! Need to hang the crystals.

The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Marion Nesbitt

Great idea - and you can change the fabric if the mood strikes. Nothing like a good bargain!

• Melissa

This gives me a great idea. I just bought a house and its an old one. The kitchen has a messed up ceiling around the light and instead of patching I may just use this idea? Thanks for sharing and giving the inspiration. Great job :)