Organizing Your Craft Supplies

$10

Organizing and January just go hand in hand, don't you think?

And if your crafting supplies are anything like mine were, they're prime candidates for some serious organizational hacks.
Some of my supplies were in the house, packed into boxes, baskets, and honestly, some were in little piles.

The rest of it was in the room above our garage - my planned craft studio location that didn't exactly turn out as I planned. And since I do most of my projects in the house anyway, it just made sense to move everything to one location.

The problem, however, was that I didn't have an ideal place in the house to put stuff.

So...I had to get creative.
The first step to getting organized is to sort all your stuff. Now's the time to toss what is broken or unusable or to give away supplies you don't really even use.

Putting them in piles makes it much easier to decide on the kind and amount of storage you'll need.
Photo boxes make perfect storage containers for bottles of craft paints. I found these at Michael's for just $2 each and they each will hold 40 bottles. They fit well enough that they won't slide around, but are still loose enough that you can easily get them in and out.
I love metal pails for paintbrushes, scissors, and adhesives. They're also perfect for colored pencils, markers, or craft pens.
You don't have to run out and buy all new supplies though. Lots of household things can be repurposed for craft storage like egg cartons and small canning jars for bead and charm storage.
And if you have any plastic storage drawers, you can easily dress them up with some fabric fat quarters and Mod Podge. Visit the blog for the link to this project source.
Now that everything is organized, it's time to store it. I've got a splendid repurposed project that's just perfect for housing everything and I"ll share that post soon.

To Work With My Hands