DIY Chic Dollar Store Storage

$2

With two dollars and a little creativity you can have a chic storage bin in under one hour.
I recently perused the aisles at Dollar Tree looking for organization ideas, and I stumbles across their (affiliate link) stunning black floral contact paper. For one dollar, it was a no brainer. I knew I needed to have it! So I picked up the contact paper along with a red bin. In under one hour and for about two dollars I was able to transform a simple storage bin into a chic organizer.

This project is wonderful because it is fully customizable and super simple. If you can cut, you can create this fun project. You may decide to add contact paper to just the outside, or just the inside. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you enjoy the process. 
To make your own chic dollar store storage bin, you will need:
Step 1: This step is optional. I wanted to add a little dimension to the top of the bin since I wasn't going to cover it. I painted the top of the bin with some metallic craft paint. Let the paint dry completely before you move onto step 2. 
Step 2: Measure the length and height of the inside of the bin. If your bin narrows like mine does, be sure to measure the length at the top and bottom. 
Step 3: Roll out the contact paper. Sketch the measurements onto the back of the contact paper. 

It was helpful to painter's tape one end of the contact paper to the floor so it didn't roll while I was sketching. I would also recommend using the edge of the contact paper for one of the sides since it is already straight, and that is one less side you have to cut. 

Step 4: Cut out the measured contact paper. 
Step 5: Use the cut out contact paper as a template for the other side of the bin. Trace and cut. 
Step 6: Now for the fun part! Remove the backing of the contact paper and apply the contact paper to the inside of the bin. 
For best results start at the top and work your way down attaching the contact paper. If you mess up, you can carefully remove and apply it again. Then use your fingers to smooth out any bubbles or uneven lines. 

Repeat steps 2-6 for the other two sides of the inside of the bin. 
Step 7: If you have an opening like my bin does, make an x in the paper with a scissor. Then attach the contact paper to the other side of the bin. 
Step 8: Repeat steps 2-7 for the outside of the bin. For two sides add 1/2 of an inch to the width of your measurement so it can overlap the sides. 
You can stop here or decide to decoupage the inside and outside of the box to give it longevity. It is your choice!

Step 9: Enjoy your personalized storage bin! 

I love how mine fits in my bathroom to hold towels and soap. 

Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Elizabeth at Country Peony

• Amanda Braithwaite
    Amanda Braithwaite

How many bins can you do with one roll of contact paper?

• Elizabeth at Country Peony
      Elizabeth at Country Peony

That is a great question. If you add the paper to just the outside of the bin, you can create two decorated bins with one roll. However, if you do the inside, bottom and outside of the bin then you can only decorate one bin with one roll.
  • Miss Chel
    Miss Chel

How has it held up? I've had issues in the past with the contact paper lifting at the edges or bubbling. Thinking of using this method on the children's bathroom buckets.

• Elizabeth at Country Peony
      Elizabeth at Country Peony

Good question. Honestly, it is still looking good. I did move it from my bathroom to my kitchen. Not sure how the moisture or water will damage it overtime, but it is definitely worth a shot!

• Jessica
    Jessica

Nice idea, -- well done! And it compliments your bathroom floor.

• Lori Ward-Laatsch
    Lori Ward-Laatsch

Super cute!! Love it!!

I actually have a roll of that same contact paper, I however don't think I could do such a great job on putting it on I always have issues with contact type paper. I was thinking of using it on a cheap shelf, putting the paper on the back (flat surface easier to not screw it up) and painting the shelf a grayish color, probably chalk paint, but after seeing how great it looks with the copper I wish I could come up with a way to add it to the the shelf  painting it in copper would be to over the top.

OR - Maybe I will have to give your project a try and see if I can conquer the contact paper.