Tutorial on Flower Staining on Wood

$2

I did a TV stand made from a large dresser and had put stained flowers on it-

This is a tutorial of how to do the staining
These are the stains I used: minwax dark walnut, unicorn spit in white and black (plus a pallet for the unicorn spit)
You can use any brush you feel comfortable with, for larger images you would use need a larger brush but since I did this tutorial on a scap piece of wood I had to make the image smaller.
I printed a picture of my rose bud then just used regular tracing paper to trace the image onto the wood.
I did the minwax oil staining first on the image- I would brush it on and then use an old T-shirt piece to blend (the video will show how). After I did the minwax, I let it dry. Then I used the unicorn spit to make deeper shadows and lighter highlights so the flower would pop more.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
This is the video tutorial for the minwax staining
This is the video tutorial using the unicorn spit
This is the nearly completed rose bud, it needs more work but since it was just a sample I didn't complete it. Once it is completed, you would use a spray oil-based clear spray to seal it since water based would activate the spit. Then, after it is sprayed and dry, you can use a water-based polyurethane over it to really enhance the stain and make the flower pop.
Here is the piece I mentioned at the beginning that uses this technique.

15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
DP

• Linda Sikut

I'd like to get an idea of where you found your pattern. I'm assuming somewhere online, but could you help narrow it down with either a website or the search terms you used? Thanks in advance.
  • Denise Brooks

where does one find a pattern to go by
    • DP

I googled for a black and white rose to use as a pattern, I hope that helps

• Ami Anton

You did a beautiful job but I am not as talented in drawing. Is there an alternative way other than drawing it on the wood?

• DP

I didn't draw this I traced it using the image I had on paper, just put some tracing paper under it. The wood was light enough that I could easily see the lines.

• Marilyn Pat Jurman

Tracing the rose is the easy part. But the techniques you use to make it so beautiful still makes you an artist. The depth of color, knowing when the outline is just right, and how to use and how much to use of the Unicorn spit, requires judgment and talent. I love the results you got.

• Kat Rogers

Absolutely Beautiful! Even if you simply traced it, your shading is Purrfect and makes you appear like a true artist. And I must mention that your woodwork is great~ You Disassembled A Dresser And Made A TV Stand?! Well, that's pretty freakish awesome, too!

I can tell you all about glitter, but my one area of confusion as I have NO experience here: How does tracing paper get you to see lines on your work area? I've only known tracing paper to be extremely sheer paper for which to Trace ON. Is there something with like a carbon paper on the back, because I just thought I'd use carbon paper!

Thank You for sharing such beauty.

• Dl.5660408

I really like the way the rose came out translucent, exceptional work!