What can I use on a solid hard wood floor

+4
I have a solid hard wood floor that was put in a few years back. its getting beat up and not looking good. What kind of stuff if any,can I use on this floor to possible seal it and protect it from stuff like water and outdoor salt? any suggestions would be most helpful Thank you.

• Chubby58 Chubby58 on Jan 06, 2018
    Try Minwax Super-Fast Drying Polyurethane for Floors. Make sure they are good and clean before applying. Even with the poly on you will see a few scratches and scrapes, just consider this as a home being lived in.
  • Cathy Dillon Cathy Dillon on Jan 06, 2018
    Be happy! You have a great floor! To get right to the point I would use oil based polyurethane on the area that is really taking a beating. BUT be sure you can do the sanding if it's really in bad shape because once you poly you will be sealing in whatever is there now. It takes a lot of sanding to remove dirt that's in the grain of the wood.

You coud go the old fashioned route with "butcher's wax/ floor wax/ paste wax (which does work especially if you can get a power buffer:) ) but personally we just add a light coay of quick dry polyurethane. It is NOT really necessary to sand the worn areas very much; they are already de- shined and "sanded" from being used (In my opinion).

It is also possible - with some thought - to work out a plan to move your furniture so you could do the room in two installments..... You can buy polyurethane that dries overnight in especially low ( indoor winter) humidity. It is important to consider these factors:
    1) Your path in and out of the room 2) Not scratching up the new surface. The new Polyurethane will be a bit delicate at first and subject to scratches from heavy furniture ( we have placed legs of furniture on towels when we move them out of the way and removed the towels when we put it back)
    3) your supply area/ cleaning up/ opening cans etc.

On the other hand - you could also decide not to do the areas that have been protected by a piece of furniture- or are just not as bad as your most frequent path. Just sort of blend in- feather the edges as needed.

With the salt and heavy use you could consider an oil based polyurethane meant for outdoors and boats. I think the heavy duty stuff tends to come out with slightly more color and definitely needs a bit more time (or even lower humidity) to dry.
  • Shoshana Shoshana on Jan 07, 2018
    Murphys Oil Soap is good on wood.
  • Cro21374235 Cro21374235 on Jan 07, 2018
    Try Bona for hard wood floors.Sold at Home depot.
  • Cathy Dillon Cathy Dillon on Jan 07, 2018
    You're welcome - Let me repeat that winter ( in a heated house) with the low low humidity is a good time to do the polyurethane. In the summer, humidity can really extend the drying time and stall your plans. I would almost say do something right away as long as you can get the surface relatively clean and dry. If you are only putting a very thin and light color layer it might not actually be too much trouble to sand it off later, but should help prevent more dirt/ salt from getting into the grain. That is a judgement call you'll have to make.
    We have an old piece of a (pine) stud that was used as a color tester board. The name of each product is written on/in the wood in pencil right in the same section to which we applied about a 3-4" section of different colors/ products. At least there is no confusion about which one is which. This could be created on Oak or a scrap piece of what your floor is. If you apply a thin coat of quick dry polyurethane you will get a good sense of how much sanding it needs to take it off again! If you ask for scraps some times the lumber guys are very generous. You can subject different scraps to the dirt and salt and see what it looks like starting with bare wood and before and after. If you aren't going to jump right into the floor project; then the couple of days it may take you to create your own reference scrap(s) will be a good way to get started. It is always frustrating for me to try to purchase a gallon of something when I really don't know what it will look like or how it will work. We've kept our scrap piece for years and I always take another look at it to remember the names and colors that I like.