Extra Closet Storage

$50

Organization is an obsession for me, so I’m always looking for ways to do so. However, as most folks experience, January seems to be that time of year when the organization bug strikes in a big way. Last year I was looking for a way to extend storage for blankets and seasonal linens (tablecloths, etc.) and I decided to subdivide (slightly) a guest room closet – because we all know guest rooms are really for storage, right?
I bought a metal closet rod and cut it to size. I decided to do both sides of the closet and was able to get both of the rods I needed from one pole. There are lots of different sizes you can buy so measure and pick one long enough to do both sides (if you plan to do both sides). Also, look at expandable rods that may fit when you pull it apart (that way you wouldn't have to cut the rod - if you're lucky enough to find one just the right size.)
I bought pole sockets to mount the rod because I wanted to get the storage I needed without encroaching too much into the existing closet space. Because I used a metal rod, I decided to go with metal sockets as well. The pole sockets worked better because I had control over how deep I wanted the space to be. If I’d used brackets (which is also an option) it dictates the depth based on the bracket. Plus, I was hanging the rods front to back on either side of the closet (rather than lengthwise across the closet) and the sockets accommodated that better.
I bought two hanging storage organizers from Target (one for each side of the closet. The second one is identical in color and width to this pic, but has only 3 bins (because I store my suitcases underneath it).
Here’s the finished area on one side of the closet; that’s a yellow blanket hanging on the rod to the right of the hanging storage organizer. The other side of the closet is identical (except the blanket is a different color 😊). As I mentioned before, the rod is hung back to front using the pole sockets. I recommend using anchors when you attach the pole sockets to the wall, especially if you’ll have any significant weight on the rod.

I left the cubbies open, but Target also makes drawer type bins that fit inside of the cubbies if have smaller items to be stored.

• Wendy

Great organization! It is definitely something I try to improve!
  • Louanna Nerland

I think I will try a spring loaded rod , they fit nice and tight. The hang my storage from it. Thanks for this article.
    • Artemis

You are most welcome and glad you're going to try it!