Asked on Jan 7, 2018

Finding wood cube

DonnaCynthia HEmily
+9

I can’t find a wood cube reasonably priced to make the dice table. Plus they are small blocks. Where can I look?
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

5 x pieces of timber + 4 pieces of trim + Black Blackboard Paint and White Sticky Backed Plastic (Contact)
  • Gwen
    Gwen

Home Depot have 4×4 wood, just cut to size or have them cut it for free.
  • Emily
    Emily

I have thought of making a large dice cube. I would use six boards as that is what dice have. 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; dots, a different number on each side. You need six sides.
    • Maynard
      Maynard

Actually, since the 6th side will be on the floor, it becomes unnecessary. Plus, a flat surface on carpet is unstable, while on a bare or hard floor it will wobble. So you really only need 5 sides. Having said all that, the gluing, sanding ,and painting takes this out of the realm of "easy" as far as projects go. I would urge her to find a cube already assembled. It doesn't have to be a di, (singular of dice), find a cube of appropriate height, buy some paint and paint it. Bingo! You've avoided hours of frustration and you have your table in one day. As for where, I don't know where the reader lives, so thats difficult, but there are so many decor stores now, that it should not be difficult to find. Google decor stores, get phone numbers, call and inquire about decorative cubes of the size you want. When found, go buy it and paint away.
  • Maynard
    Maynard

Please read what I just wrote, directly above.
  • Emily
    Emily

thanks Maynard, but if I ever do this I will do the six sides. I play a game in which we use dice and that is what gave me the idea. Mine would be maybe 8 or 10 inches and as we have no carpets (or few) that would not be a problem and I can't think what would make a square "wobble" on a wooden floor. The actual construction work would not be a problem unless we chose to cut bevels which would be difficult but would assure uniformity for the cube sides.
    • Emily
      Emily

Thanks Evestar for your advice but I want these cubes as decorative items. I think they would be cute. Plus when we play Mah Jongg (in which we do use dice) we need two little snack tables and they could maybe serve for those, but really I just want them as a decorative accent.
  • Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

When I read your question, I didn't think I would be able to help. Then I found this on Amazon. There are several different finishes and styles. Hope it helps: https://smile.amazon.com/Foremost-327506-Modular-Storage-System/dp/B000O1CO6S/ref=pd_sbs_196_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000O1CO6S&pd_rd_r=22Q9FA0YDWS4R9DA2664&pd_rd_w=Lxqzs&pd_rd_wg=gPHud&psc=1&refRID=22Q9FA0YDWS4R9DA2664
  • Donna
    Donna

Thank you! 15 inches is a bit short for a side table. Thank you for being so thoughtful!
    • Evestar
      Evestar

You could always put it up on legs like bun feet or make a platform for it. I did that with a lamp I actually added round legs to a thick piece of wood and used it as a platform for the lamp. Or buy 2 cubes of Cynthia's and stack them for a 30" table.