Lauren Z
Lauren Z
  • Itasca, IL

Folded Book Art - Single Heart

$0

We probably ALL have books laying around that we don't want anymore. Now you can turn those books into custom works of art for any occasion or holiday.
All you need for this project is a book (hard cover is best), a ruler that is marked in Centimeters and a pencil. There are a lot of FREE patterns on the internet (visit my blog post for additional links). For THIS particular single heart fold, I used this
folded book art single heart
You will begin with your book facing the way you see in the picture above.

folded book art single heart
Open your book so the page numbers are up in the top, left as shown by the arrow. The very first thing I did was count how many pages were going to be FOLDED. Then I found the CENTER of the actual book. Divide the number of pages to be folded by TWO. Starting at the center of your book, count that number of pages back toward the FRONT of the book. That's where you will start marking and folding. Follow the pattern and begin marking your pages.
folded book art single heart
My ruler had to be used upside down because of the way it's made - it worked fine for me. Following the pattern you choose, begin by marking at the top of the page using a pencil. Mark all of the pages and then you are ready to begin folding.
folded book art single heart
Some folds will be at a 90 degree angle like this one.
folded book art single heart
Some will NOT be straight 90 degree folds like this one on the left. If you cannot make a 90 degree fold, then you know it has to be folded this way. Start at your mark and just make a straight fold as shown.
folded book art single heart
The simple heart pattern at Instructables is best to start with because every fold is a 90 degree fold.
folded book art single heart
Here is a side view of the beginning pages of the heart.
folded book art single heart
You can use a clothespin or binder clip to hold the pages you've folded if you like.
folded book art single heart
Once you are finished, this is what you will have! Cool, right?
folded book art single heart
I added a piece of decorative paper on the front and back, inside covers as well as a piece of ribbon to tie in front of the heart.
folded book art single heart
And there you have it! A basically free decoration! Check out the other patterns available - you can make these for gifts for all kinds of events. The nice thing too is that it folds closed/flat making it easy to store or mail. Warning: These are ADDICTING!
Lauren Z

• Catherine Martin

It looks like each page was folded slightly larger than the one before or slightly smaller than the one before. You don’t mention that. Am I right?

• Lauren Z

You fold on the markings you make so yes, every page is different. Not sure if that's what you're asking?

• Alison

What measurements do you use ? And what do you increase or decrease the next folded page please ?

• Lauren Z

Hi Alison - go to the blog post and you'll get some more instructions. The link(s) I provide there give you the measurements to mark on each page. The link to this single heart fold is also in the first paragraph. Each "pattern" has different markings.

• Aimee Elliott

You said you used decorative paper on the outside. Did you cover the back and front with the same paper? how do you handle around the spine of the book? Also, I'm planning on using fabric. Any reason not too?

Thank you.

• Lauren Z

Hi— I did not cover the outside of the book. My books were red and gold so I left them. I only covered the inside front and back pages. The outside really doesn’t show much if it’s up against a wall or shelf etc. Maybe just cover the front and back but not the spine?

• Jeanne Martin

Your post and the link attached for a tutorial are the best, easiest to understand book page folding instructions Ihave seen yet! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• Lauren Z

Very sweet of you Jeanne - thanks! Give it a try -- great way to use books that would not be used anyway 😊

• Vicky Corey

What a great idea! I wish I had your creative mind!! I treasure books and this is another way to repurpose without hurting the book. Thank you for sharing!