Chalk Painted DIY Toddler Daybed From An Antique 3/4 Bed

$150

Here is how to turn an antique 3/4 bed frame into a toddler daybed! Complete an amazing transformation by painting the bed with white chalk paint
I found this beautiful antique 3/4 headboard, footboard, and side rails second hand. I loved the ornate details on the headboard.
The first thing I did was mark a center line in the foot board and cut it in half with the table saw.
Then I attached the cut ends of the foot board to the sides of the headboard, screwing it in from the back of the headboard.
It’s best to drill a pilot hole before putting the screw in so the wood doesn’t split. I used four screws on each side so it was nice and sturdy
Then I cut one of the bed rails down to fit along the front of the bed. The headboard is 52″ wide, so I cut the front rail to about 49″ to fit between the sides
I primed the entire piece with a good quality primer using a paint brush and roller. Then I painted three coats of Rust-oleum Chalked paint in the color Linen White, sanding in between each coat with 400 grit sandpaper. I like to apply the paint with a paint brush, and smooth out any brush strokes with a roller. Then I finished it with two coats of Rust-oleum matte topcoa t
I installed the front rail with bed rail fasteners so it could be easily removed.
On the headboard side of the bed I added a small piece of wood for the slats to rest on.
The size of the daybed ended up being just slightly smaller than a crib mattress. The frame size is 49″ by 26″, whereas a crib mattress is 52″ by 27″.  I bought a foam mattress and it fit perfectly within the bedframe.
Is this something you would try? What do you think about painting antique furniture? For more information and pictures, please click the link below to see the entire blog post

Jessica VanderVeen