LOVE SHELF

$20

I saw this shelf on Pintrest a while ago and wanted to make it. As soon as the season for Valentine's was coming , I started the shelf. I decided I wanted to make a few at a time. As I'm sure I'd sell or use them as gifts. I asked by Hubby to help. On Friday, I drew up various designs based off of pictures of various LOVE shelves that I had seen. Then, I decided how tall I wanted the shelf to be and came up with the other dimensions. I had a wood pallet made out of 2x4 so I did not have to purchase wood or screws. On Saturday, my hubby and I cut the boards and assembled the shelf. Then I stained some, I wanted a few different looks, so I also painted one giving it a shabby chic finish. I am very pleased with how all the shelves turned out! However it was very large so I decided to make some half the size. I will show you both below. Make whatever works for your space.

Materials
Wood: untreated 2x4 or 2x8 for best results
Wood Screws: 26, 2.5 - 4 in each
pencil
Miter saw
Tape Measure
Square
Drill
Sandpaper and Sander
D Rings (to put on back to hang)
*Paint: be sure you have both primer and paint. I used black primer and the color I used was Chalk White by General Finishes
*Stain: if you go this route I used Classic Grey by Minwax, Special Walnut by Minwax

Materials
Wood Screws: 26, 2.5 - 4 in each
pencil
Miter saw
Tape Measure
Square
Drill
Sandpaper and Sander
D Rings (to put on back to hang)
*Paint: be sure you have both primer and paint. I used black primer and the color I used was Chalk White by General Finishes
You need to cut all the wood in these sizes
Large Shelf:
13.5" 4
25" 1
15" 1
15.5" 3 2 will have 45 degrees at top
19" 1
6.25" 1
Small Shelf:
7 1/2" 2
7 3/4" 2
9 1/2" 1
3 1/8" 1
12 1/2" 1
6 3/4" 4
You will want to assemble from the bottom up.
You will want to use a square to make sure that everything is squared up
Apply all with screws
the V has 4 cuts at 45 degree at the top and bottom of each board
After you but them together this how they should look and if done right all should stand on there own. I did three right off the bat. I think they will make great Valentines gifts
one I did in the Classic Grey stain by Minwax
One in Special Walnut by Minwax
last one I did with the Black primer and let dry then I painted with Chalk White by General Finishes.  I used my hand sander and sanded so the black showed through giving it the appearance that it looked old.
again if you want to make the smaller one here is the cut list
small shelf
7 1/2" 2
7 3/4" 2
9 1/2" 1
3 1/8" 1
12 1/2" 1
6 3/4" 4
I did the smalls in the same finishes and added 2 hooks (D rings) on each along the L bottom so it huge nice and straight  
I think they all turned out great and they are available Gilbert Marketplace https://www.facebook.com/groups/148871301967379/ if you'd like to order one. Happy Crafting  

• 25554306

Nice! Do you think this would work with a thinner boards?
    • Shelly L Nemeth

Yes for sure 1x6 or 1x8 would be great Just make sure you do pilot holes before you screw together or you’ll split the wood
  • Sandy Harmon

I tried this project and it was harder than I thought it would be. I found beautiful wood at Home Depot, but it ended up being too heavy. The top L and O are to heavy to rest on the one side of the V. Any suggestions for me? I wanted to give it to my sister for a wedding gift next weekend.

• Ashley

LOVE this!!! I wonder if it could work with other words, or with the "O" as a heart, paw print, or horse shoe shape...Of course, they would probably need to be purchased, rather than hand made, but I think it would be awesome!!!

• Mamamia

Girl, you are awesome. I especially love the shabby chic one How tall from top to bottom are the smaller one as well as the taller one. Don't make me do math, it give me a headache

• Tiffany McCampbell

Very cute!!! How many 2X4 did you use for the large one?

• Shelly L Nemeth

You add up inches I think it’s 12’ board I usually make a bunch so I always buy the cheapest way I can get 😊