How to Repurpose Armoire Furniture Doors as Decorative Wall Shutters

$15

As a furniture painter sometimes we have extra furniture parts lying around - -- just waiting for the perfect project to upcycle them. I have a fancy idea to use extra armoire doors... and I don't think I've seen them repurposed like this before!
About three years ago I had a client who ordered a large French armoire for her master bedroom entertainment center. It was LARGE as in FOUR doors across….like an entire wall-size center….AND….she didn’t want the doors!!!!

WHAT??? They were sooooo pretty!!! So I removed the doors and just could NOT toss them!

We built her a practical and pretty entertainment center with the armoire. I'm glad I held on to the pretty doors. I usually don't hold on to clutter, but my heart told me to save these doors.
I got the idea after sitting at my desk in my office looking toward the dining room and noticed how boring the wall was that has the cut-out opening to the dining room. 

I didn’t want to add pictures or art on either side as I have a gallery wall already….and knew that was enough.  I’d considered barn doors…but it just didn’t go with my vibe and I didn't need doors to close the space. 

AND it just hit me!!!  THOSE FRENCH DOORS!!!!  I could flank them on both sides!!!
This was a fast project. First we cut off the curved top of one door and stacked them to appear as one tall french “shutter”. 

We measured…. trimmed…. glued…. screwed…. clamped….. painted….. and hung!  That was pretty much it! The black goes with the rest of the home as I slowly update it from golds and browns to blacks and grays. The gold adds a touch of fancy.
I am thrilled that I listened to my heart and saved these doors!  I have always loved using items in an unexpected way….

If you enjoyed my repurpose and you like my fancy style, please follow my blog where I'll send fabulous furniture makeovers and inspiration. Sign up here. You can also see more of my home transformation as it slowly comes together!

You can also find me on Facebook: @traceysfancy I'd love to hear if you have ideas for repurposing armoire doors!

Click the blog link here or below to see my dining room transformation and more of that fancy harlequin feature wall!

Thank you for joining me!

Tracey Bellion

• Shuganne

Oh, Tracey, you made some beautiful doors - twice! I'm wondering why you chose to take the fancy curved tops off, yet left the straight horizontal piece in? Why couldn't you use the most intricate parts of the windows and remove some height from the vertical pieces?

• Jcd32972316

I like that idea, wonderful! Also, what is your wall color in the room that you hung the doors in? Very nice.

• Margaret

The doors on the armoire are straight across. Did you use different doors?

• Karen

In the third picture where someone is holding them up to the wall, they appear to have fabric behind them. Where did that come from? The fabric doesn't appear in the before pictures. Were you thinking of using it in your final product?