How to Paint a Leather Chair

$40

If you have a leather chair that is good shape but doesn't match your colors, you can PAINT it! and completely update its look!

Let me introduce you to an amazing new paint product that helps you transform leather furniture!!! I used it to update a chair in a more modern gray palette that fits my new office design.
how to paint a leather chair
I found this burgundy chair on Craigslist for $50 bucks!!  And it is so beautiful……but it just did NOT match my new office design plans at all!!!!

I loved the style and the size though. It is missing one tuft and a few nailhead buttons. But that didn't matter since it is going behind my desk.

First thing you want to do with leather before you paint it, is strip the oils. I used straight rubbing alcohol. I coated a wash cloth and gave it two good wash downs and let it dry.
how to paint a leather chair
Then I started painting with Heirloom Traditions Finish All Paint in "Weather Vane" a nice warm neutral, but modern gray. It's an all-in-one paint -- no priming, no sealing, no waxing ... and it paints on EVERYTHING - leather, vinyl, wood and fabric! It comes in 8 colors and you can find the paint links in my entire blog post here.

This paint works on most fabrics, except high-mat fabric like velvet.

Make sure you get your "tooth coat" in all the cracks and crevices, making sure to spread out the leather folds around the buttons and stippling the paint in there.
how to paint a leather chair
I painted right over the nailhead buttons, stippling over them, because later I am going to paint those silver. It's so much easier than taping over the nailheads. When I do that part (eventually), I'll use my finger tip to paint the nailheads. You can make them look metal again with metallic paints.
how to paint a leather chair
Let it dry and then paint a second coat. (On fabric it dries very fast, sometimes only 1 coat is needed. ) The Finish All Paint self-levels so well that you don't need to use an expensive brush!
how to paint a leather chair
Is this gorgeous!? The gray is so modern. And honestly, brand new leather chairs are expensive. This one looks BRAND NEW now!

how to paint a leather chair
The before and after comparison blows my mind.  I use Finish All on fabric chairs weekly when I paint my signature mermaids and fancy lady chairs.

But I am even more fond of it for leather!  I want to go out and save all the outdated leather chairs and paint them!!!  Bring me all the old leather chairs!!!!

If you want to get more painting tips and furniture makeovers, follow my Tracey's Fancy blog here.

You can also find me on Facebook: @TraceysFancy and share your leather chair makeovers with me! You'll also be able to catch me Live sharing other projects. I'd love to hear from you!!!

If you'd like to see a video of me painting this gray leather chair, click on the blog link below!

Thank you, fancies!

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 16, 2018 11:33 PM - More info
Tracey bellion

• Wandamurline

I have a leather sofa...an expensive one...and after about 8 months the top of the leather on the arm started to delaminate....guy who sold it to us went out of business and factory would not stand behind it. If I found a match to the color of my sofa, do you think I could just paint the spot to match the rest of the sofa?

• Ren29934098

Needing to know How to repair a leather sofa arm ? A piece in a complete circle has come off (top layer) then a piece is flopping around, ,,,,

• Mary Hofstra

My question is similar to others about leather couch that is peeling and cracked. I'm not sure if it's 100% leather but I bought it used about 16 years ago and the seat cushions look terrible. The middle one especially! We can't afford a new sofa and this one still functions ok. If I could paint it to at least make the burgundy leather look better, that would hold us off getting a new one! (to us as we'd probably find another one on Craigslist again!)