Nwdnanny
Nwdnanny
  • Thomasville, GA

Chalk Paint Redo

I found this set of chairs at a local thrift store. They were selling 4 for $65 and "threw in" 2 more that were broken for free. The seats were a hideous orange mottled vinyl. I knew right away I wanted to use Annie Sloan chalk paint on them. I know I am going to get some comments about "ruining the value of them by painting over the mahogany finish " but their value is only what I feel about them, period. I fully intended to resell them but after finishing the project, I loved them too much to part with them. I also liked the way they went with my pine table and mixed with my other chairs. I'm one happy camper with it all.
chalk paint redo, chalk paint, painted furniture
Four chairs were ok but 2 others were in bad shape. The arm chair on the right was the worst with some of the back busted out.
Close up of the damage on the back that could not be repaired.
Painting, highlighting, distressing, and waxing finished. This photo shows a white seat slipcover but the seats are actually burlap.
Happy with the way the chalk paint pieces mix with my pine ones.
There was no way to repair the broken back so I made a white slipcover with ties and had it monogrammed in the same color of the chalk paint. So happy with my finished set.

• Barbara Cassara

What color was your chalk paint? The chairs look great!

• Jean Darnell

I like that color also. I have six dark wooden chairs and table. I would like to paint the chairs this color but I'm not sure about the table? I was thinking same paint color for the table, but add stenciling to the top?

• Lisa Bledsoe-Rowe

I do not know if someone has already commented on this or not,(since u have sooo many..lol), but I too love rescuing items. I had a rocker once missing the top curved portion of the arm. I used Bondo. It had to be put on in a couple of stages, but I was able to build it up and then mold it perfectly into what I needed. But remember to work extremely fast, because it dries super quick. There are also small fiberglass patches u can get with Bondo for larger holes etc.. That stuff sands beautifully down to a smooth finish. Paints beautifully. Once dry it's hard as a rock. No one could believe that 5-6" section once had been missing. Just thought I'd throw that out there.. love what u did. Very nice!

• Ran22549902

Hello...
    i find it amazing how painting vintage finds make them so currant.
    It truly is a great dining space. Well done my friend!!
    Randy