Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Want to Build a Snowman?

$10

Now that winter is upon us, you can go out into the snow and build snowman that will melt in a few days OR you can go to your favorite store and purchase some cotton/polyester clothesline and make a snowman that will last forever.
want to build a snowman
Along with the cotton/polyester clothesline, you will also need at least three punch balls/balloons.
want to build a snowman
Begin by blowing up the punch balls. You will need three of various sizes - small, medium, and large. This is what we’ll use as the mold for our snowman.
Punch balls work better than balloons because they are thicker.
want to build a snowman
A-I used underlament but you can also use Portland cement. Either of these cements are finer than regular cement and is easier to work with; however, they do set up fairly quickly.
B-Add the underlament to a bucket.
C-Add water.
My ratio was 2:1 meaning 2 cups of underlament to 1 cup of water.
Stir the underlament and water together using your gloved hand or a paint stiring stick.
Continue to add underlament and water until you achieve a slurry which is a little thinner than cream of wheat.
want to build a snowman
Take the clothesline off of it’s spool. Cut into long pieces. (It’s easier if you cut the clothesline into long pieces instead of using the entire spool of clothesline at one time as it’s easier to work with.)
Place one end of the clothesline underneath the handle of the bucket (top picture)
Place the clothesline in the underlament and allow it to soak a minute or two.

want to build a snowman
Remove the end of the clothesline and tie it to the top of the punchball.
Remove the clothesline from the bucket and begin to wrap it around the ball.
Continue adding pieces of clothesline to the bucket of underlament and then wrapping it around the ball until you’ve achieved the look you want.
want to build a snowman
Use an aluminum pan to set the ball on to dry. I had these little loaf pans on hand but you can use anything that will lift the ball off of the table.
Allow to dry at least 24 hours.
Once the clothesline is dry, pop the balloons and pull them out.

want to build a snowman
I used a planting urn to display my snowman since the ground was frozen.
Place a piece of rebar through the hole in the urn.
Add large rocks to weigh down the urn and to hold the rebar in place.
want to build a snowman
Place each ball onto the rebar threading the rebar through the holes in each ball.
You can see the rebar (outlined in yellow) in the second picture.
want to build a snowman
Use cable ties to attach the balls together.
want to build a snowman
Dress your snowman in whatever winter attire you like. I added a carrot nose too.
I love my snowman and I think Elsa & Anna would approve too.

• Mickie

I am going to try this project! So excited! I’m not what you call “ CRAFTY”, but I think 🤔, I just might be able to do this.

Any ideas on a more permanent nose? I wouldn’t want to use a real carrot 🥕.

• Mickie

Can you spray paint this snowman ⛄️? I think I would want a whiter white. Then, add lights!!

• Happycamper96

Would tieing the string to the balloon be a good idea? Would it make it removing it hard after bursting it? Love the idea, very cute.

• MadeByBarb

Well, Yes, I designed these & made them years ago...

• O-bsessive C-raft D-isorder

LOVE IT ❤️❤️❤️❤️ Originally from COLDDD MN. we’re I could build a ⛄️SNOWMAN but Hubby and I moved to ☀️🌴 Florida 8yrs. ago , now I can build myself a permanent SNOWMAN and add it to my collection of over 200 Adorable Snowmen (Comes with working with children for 20 + years.

Thanks OCD