$6 Storage Hack (I Wish I'd Done 2 Years Ago)

1 Material
$6

I've been on a bit of a storage safari for the last few weeks. It's not a New Year's Resolution or anything. I've just been cooped up in my house and limited as to what I could do because of the unbelievably cold weather (for us).

I decided to try decluttering under my sink and kitchen island. Remember the tension rod that I used to hang those pretty orbs in my "Twine With A Twist" project? Yep, that was supposed to be to declutter under my kitchen sink. OK, so the glue was only on the outside of the packaging! And I only moved into this house 2 years ago!
5/8" Tension rod
Be sure that you get the larger tension rod. The little ones tend to have thin sides that let the springs burst out if you apply too much pressure.
Before: All junked up, can't find anything
It's true what they say: If you want a neat space, first you have to take everything out and clean the space! Not Fun!
Clean and empty
After I pulled everything out, I cleaned the bottom of the cabinet really well, then let it dry. While it was drying, I threw away anything that couldn't be used anymore and consolidated bottles of the same thing.
Figured out where to hang the rod behind the drain pipe, but high enough to put a second row of bottles underneath. Be sure it's level and in there as tight as you can fit it, so the weight of all those spray bottles doesn't drag it down and make a big ol' mess!
Shelf liner under drain pipes. Started organizing bottles with trigger sprayers on tension rod.
Then I organized the bottom with most frequently used items in the front.
I need to keep that gallon of vinegar handy for frequent cleaning!
Recycling can on the left.
Nice and neat, with plenty of room left for my under sink trash can!
All done!
Gaining that extra level of storage by hanging trigger sprayer bottles on the tension rod allowed me to move things that I had been storing on the bottom shelf of my island to under the sink. Because they hang up high, the spray bottles are easy to see and reach. I am really loving this system!

That's really all there is to it. The rest will depend on what you store under your kitchen sink. But now we have a convenient place to store the cast iron pots and the gumbo pot. No more trying to fit all the pots together like a jigsaw puzzle!

• Tension rod  (Amazon, Dollar Store)

• Penny

How can you hang the rod ?
    • Jeanne Johnson Ortego

Hi, Penny! It's a tension rod, so it just braces against the cabinet sides. For a little exrra stability, you could use closet rod holders. They're cheap, and found at home stores and places like Walmart. I'm not sure how else you'd need to hang it. Do you have a picture of where you want it to go?

• Lori Davis Walden

Small trash bag dilemmas: I clean for a lady that uses a binder clip on her small trash cans to keep the bags in place. I however, have always taken the access bag held it on both sides, twirled it around to make it as tight as possible then tucked the twirled knitted bag under the top edge. Always holds tight.

• Sharron Bennett

A very neat job. I liked the piece of furniture, its beautiful.