Folding Stool Refurbish

$10

I picked up this little folding stool with the idea that I would do something with it to freshen it up, then sell it. I wasn't sure what, exactly, but I certainly wasn't leaving that fuzzy blue seat covering on it!
There really are no words...
I knew that I could do something nice with it, so I looked for a leather or faux leather bag large enough to cover the seat. I found a large tote for $1 at my favorite thrift store.
Removed seat cover from frame.
Measuring for size.
The bag was gold. Perfect. I cut up the bag along the seams and then cut out a piece for the seat cover.
I used a Fleur de Lis stencil that I had cut out with a Cricut to cover the center of the piece.
Then I spray painted over it with black spray paint. Rustoleum will stick to anything. Even gold pleather.

After the paint dried, I lifted the stencil off. Piece of cake!
I used the old seat cover for a pattern and trimmed the piece of fabric to size.
Fitted cover on seat base.
Made sure it was centered.
Then, pulling fabric taut, I stapled it tightly to the backing. Be sure to do opposite corners, then work your way around the base, pulling the fabric and stapling as you go. I added two layers of extra loft batting, but still had to use 1/4" staples. I made a few mistakes and had to pull all of the first staples out because they were too long. Ouch! That would not have been fun to sit on!
I spray painted the base gold.
After the paint dried, I reassembled the seat and the stool, which consisted of screwing it back on with five screws. The base was missing one of the leg caps, so I purchased a set, and once they were on the bottoms of the legs, I was done! It's already posted for sale. Just in time for playoff tailgating!
My favorite team's colors!
I picked this stool up at Goodwill, but they sell similar ones at Amazon. You could use the covering of your choice on the stool. I wanted something with a little bling and durable. I included the price of the gold spray paint in the overall cost of the project, because I used a good bit of it. I barely used any black. The staple gun and staples are items that I use on many projects, so their cost here is negligible.

• Jeanne Johnson Ortego

Thank you all!

• Wandamurline

Great idea and cost effective since most of the beauty products offer these totes with purchases....I have at least 5 in my closet, now I can see what I can do with them. Thanks.