Jeanne Johnson Ortego
Jeanne Johnson Ortego
  • Tutorial Team
  • Lafayette, LA

Folding Stool Refurbish

$10

I picked up this little folding stool with the idea that I would do something with it to freshen it up, then sell it. I wasn't sure what, exactly, but I certainly wasn't leaving that fuzzy blue seat covering on it!
There really are no words...
There really are no words...
folding stool refurbish
folding stool refurbish
I knew that I could do something nice with it, so I looked for a leather or faux leather bag large enough to cover the seat. I found a large tote for $1 at my favorite thrift store.
Removed seat cover from frame.
Removed seat cover from frame.
Measuring for size.
Measuring for size.
The bag was gold. Perfect. I cut up the bag along the seams and then cut out a piece for the seat cover.
folding stool refurbish
I used a Fleur de Lis stencil that I had cut out with a Cricut to cover the center of the piece.
folding stool refurbish
Then I spray painted over it with black spray paint. Rustoleum will stick to anything. Even gold pleather.

After the paint dried, I lifted the stencil off. Piece of cake!
folding stool refurbish
I used the old seat cover for a pattern and trimmed the piece of fabric to size.
Fitted cover on seat base.
Fitted cover on seat base.
Made sure it was centered.
Made sure it was centered.
folding stool refurbish
Then, pulling fabric taut, I stapled it tightly to the backing. Be sure to do opposite corners, then work your way around the base, pulling the fabric and stapling as you go. I added two layers of extra loft batting, but still had to use 1/4" staples. I made a few mistakes and had to pull all of the first staples out because they were too long. Ouch! That would not have been fun to sit on!
I spray painted the base gold.
I spray painted the base gold.
After the paint dried, I reassembled the seat and the stool, which consisted of screwing it back on with five screws. The base was missing one of the leg caps, so I purchased a set, and once they were on the bottoms of the legs, I was done! It's already posted for sale. Just in time for playoff tailgating!
My favorite team's colors!
My favorite team's colors!
I picked this stool up at Goodwill, but they sell similar ones at Amazon. You could use the covering of your choice on the stool. I wanted something with a little bling and durable. I included the price of the gold spray paint in the overall cost of the project, because I used a good bit of it. I barely used any black. The staple gun and staples are items that I use on many projects, so their cost here is negligible.

• Jeanne Johnson Ortego

Thank you all!

• Wandamurline

Great idea and cost effective since most of the beauty products offer these totes with purchases....I have at least 5 in my closet, now I can see what I can do with them. Thanks.