Crystal @ Urban Patina
Crystal @ Urban Patina
  • Shakopee, MN

Antique Sideboard Makeover

When my husband brought home this antique sideboard, it couldn't stand upright because the rear leg was broken completely off. (Hard to tell that from this photo because we have it propped up on a cement block) Several of the drawers were falling apart, the holes for the hardware had been carved out to the point that they were too large to even manage any sort of knob. Not to mention layers upon layers of dirt and grime. I sometimes wonder what stories these old pieces could tell given the condition I get them in.
antique buffet didn t have a leg to stand on, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
Before.
You can see how I fell in love with it the minute I set my eyes on it. That wood grain is amazing!
And here it is after. When I'm redoing pieces, especially antiques, I try to leave as much of the natural wood grain showing. But since the body on this piece was so damaged I had to go with the two tone effect. I think it complimented the strong features quite nicely.
You could never that it was once missing a rear leg! With a new piece of wood, glue, clamps, angle iron and screws, it's stronger now then it ever was!
The wood grain was so stunning that there was NO WAY I could paint the entire thing...so I cleaned and stained as much of the natural wood that I could.
The drawers have all been fixed up to like new condition. (Well, like new for a 100ish year old sideboard)
Another drawer shot.
It's certainly not perfect, but these minor blemishes are the character that make these pieces so unique and even more interesting.
The body is finished in Annie Sloan Graphite with Napoleonic blue undertones and topped off with Dark wax. The drawers, doors and top was sanded down and stained with Min Wax Dark Walnut and Kona, topped off with a satin poly for years of durability.

To see more: http://urbanpatina.blogspot.com/2014/04/antique-sideboard-graphite-grey.html

• Jle1183456

Very nice!

• Gloria tulip

An expert told me to never use oil as a finish. Always use shellac, lacquer, or varnish. And try to retain the patina. You did a great job.