DIY Project. Upcycle Your Old Frame Into Trendy Bookshelf.

$100

I had this project in my mind for a few months but I couldn’t find good frame anywhere. I was visiting my local second-hand store almost every day… I didn’t want to spend a lot of money for a new frame so used one was the best option for me. And one day I found what I was looking for 😊
Step 1 - Gold color was wonderful but didn’t match my space so I decided to change it to silver. I put two coats of Annie Sloan Graphite chalk paint.
Step 2 – I put silver Pebeo gilding wax on my frame. I start with a little amount of it as it is very efficient. 
Step 3 – I polished it with 600 grit sand paper. Thanks to this you can see wood structure on my frame. 
Step 4 – My husband (handy man) build a shelf. He used for it melamine boards from Home Depot.
Step 5 -  We glued frame to shelf using “No More Nails” glue from Home Depot 

• Joy Bennett

looks great. How did you mount it to the wall? And is it just open on the sides?
    • LaJuanna Faught

The books are leaning on the side walls.
    • Mark Willis

I too am very interested in how you mounted those 4 fairly heavy shelves to the wall? They must be mounted into the studs in the walls to hold the weight...? How did you mount the shelves?
    • Linda

From what I can gather, the shelves are in a box that her husband constructed. The picture frame is glued to the edges of the box with the shelves.
    • Joy Bennett

So do you think there is sides built onto the frame in addition to shelves, Linda? She doesn’t mention them. And I’m really hoping to get an answer from the poster regarding how it’s mounted. Nice idea!
    • Izabela Rutkowska-Trzop

Shelves are integral part of the structure - you can't remove them.
      2nd and 3rd shelve have attached in the back 2 cleats from Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.18-pro-french-cleat---200lb.1000730983.html.
      It allows to hide them (if I would attach to first shelf - it would stick out over top) and distribute the load. Shelves are from melamine boards so using single shelve to carry all load to the wall would cause it to separate (that's why we used 2).
      Critical part is to install cleats in correct distance on bookshelf and wall - otherwise only on will be carrying the load.
      And of course you need to install wall part to the studs.
    • Izabela Rutkowska-Trzop

View from the side
    • Joy Bennett

okay, great, so he built a box an you glued the box on. Now, it’s really heavy, so how did you hang it please?
    • Izabela Rutkowska-Trzop

My husband hang it on two 24" Pro French Cleat (you can buy it in Home Depot). I hope it can help you.

• Sherry

Confused. Is the shelf (bookcase) sticking out from the wall or is it built into the wall?
    • Allison Velez

She glued it to the front of a bookcase so I'm assuming it sticks out
    • Pam

there are candles on top of it so it is sticking out.
    • Grandma

I think it’s halfway into the wall. It has a candle on top but doesn’t have feet, I can see the baseboard
    • Izabela Rutkowska-Trzop

View from the side

• Very clever and effective.

• Ellen

It looks like it sticks out, however, I think this is a great idea for a flat against the wall built-in shelf unit (or for a recessed shelving unit you can make yourself -if you own the place...not okay for renters!). Also if you use command strips to adhere to the shelving unit, you can trade out frames when you want.

• Susan Clark Ponce

I Loooove what you have created here. This is an exceptionally beautiful frame. You and your husband should be proud of your accomplishment.. Thank-you for sharing such a delightful project.

• Frances

It loooks as though the shelf sits inside the wall which to me would look even better! Not saying it’s not nice,,, it’s gorgeous and a lovely piece!