Entertainment Center Becomes A...

$5

My boyfriend and I have seen countless entertainment centers being given away on craigslist and other sites. We're talking about those old, clunky wood ones that TVs don't fit in now a days. Here's how ours changed completely from an unusable entertainment center to a beautiful home entrance bench!
entertainment center becomes a
So one night, later than we'd care to admit, my boyfriend and I went to pick an entertainment center up. Long story short, it wouldn't fit in my SUV. So first thing that we did? We plugged in our saw and started sawing away at the ginormous entertainment center. The one we were picking up looked similar to this one that was posted on craigslist, however we didn't take a picture of the one that we got. Again I just want to clarify because there have been some questions about this: ours was similar however ours had drawers and the glass door we cut off was smaller and above the cabinet at the bottom left! We managed to saw it down enough to fit it in the car and take it home. Success! When we woke up, at a more decent hour, we got to work and sawed it down even more.
entertainment center becomes a
When we woke up, at a more decent hour, we got to work and sawed it down even more. Here's what it looked like when we were done. We had removed both of the drawers to get them ready for sanding and painting.
entertainment center becomes a
Here's a more up close picture of the side. Since we didn't have a sander handy at the time, we had to go through the time consuming process of using a saw. I would recommend trying a sander if possible, as that might create a more precise, smooth edge!
entertainment center becomes a
As it was fairly warm out, we laid down a tarp and moved the entertainment center towards the edge of the garage, which was a major help with having the paint dry! First we unscrewed the handles/drawer pulls and set those aside. We lightly sanded all over the entertainment center and applied 3 coats of gray paint. A great place to buy paint is definitely the mis-tinted section at Lowe's. Basically if someone doesn't like the paint color that comes out Lowe's resells it for a marked down price, usually $10 for a gallon or $5 for the smaller paints. We were in luck, as this gray one happened to be $5 for a gallon bucket that was 3/4 of the way full. Look for the mistints right by the paint section, the paint will often have "MT" for mis tint on the top and have the price there. Another thing we did was spray paint the drawer pulls with a black spray paint we had left over from another project. Highly recommend spray painting when it's warmer out as it'll stick better! After everything was dry, we screwed the handles back in and put the drawers back in place.
entertainment center becomes a
entertainment center becomes a
entertainment center becomes a
entertainment center becomes a
My mom loved the finished product so much she decided she wanted to keep it in her house! I decorated it for her with a couple of pillows and she absolutely loved it. We also ended up throwing a small fur rug on there to make seating more comfortable! Overall we were very happy with it, and after sawing it, the project become very simple. To give you perspective, this was our first big project together and we loved it. If you have any comments or questions, please leave them below we'd love to hear from you! Also please feel free to check out our Facebook page which will be linked down below!
entertainment center becomes a
entertainment center becomes a

To see more: http://facebook.com/furnitureflipcouple

• Elaine

Is that two different entertainment centers? Did you add the longer right side cupboard and change the bottom molding?
    • Cristina

She says that it’s not the same ... but a similar one .

• Wil17881032

That's not the same one what happened to the part with the glass and it was on the wrong side. ?

• Cristina

If you read the whole description of the project the author clarified that it was not the same cabinet ... but a similar one .

• Ney86

Is that the same entertainment center?

• Institches

i wish I could visualize what it looked like to begin with. It’s lovely , but have NO idea how it got to where it is now! I’m lost!

• Karen
    30 minutes ago

I could scream!😵 I had that entertainment center and put it to the curb because it was outdated. Someone picked it up.