Tonya
Tonya
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Hueysville, KY

How to Winter Sow Vegetable and Flower Seeds for a Successful Garden

$2
4 Months

Winter sowing is a quick and easy seed starting technique used to get an early start to both vegetable and flower gardens! All you need are seeds and a recycled container - let's get started!
Gardening is hands-down one of my favorite ways to spend my spare time in the summer. However, there are some challenges when the time comes to start seeds. While many seeds can be directly sown into the soil, some need to be started indoors in order to have a successful crop. This can be a HUGE issue for those of us who don't have the time, money, and/or space for such a task!

Winter sowing is using containers (usually empty milk jugs) to make little “mini greenhouses” that you plant seeds in and put outside during the winter. The best candidates for winter sowing are plants that don’t mind a little bit of a chill. For example, I wouldn’t winter sow my zinnias in January. However, something like bachelor’s buttons would be a very good candidate for sowing since they can handle the cold and are often one of the first flowers to germinate in the spring. By winter sowing, I’m able to get a jump-start on the season, without taking up precious space in my house. In addition to more hardy annuals, any perennial that is hardy in your climate zone may be a good candidate for the process. One reason this method works well for perennials is that many need a period of vernalization (cold exposure) before they sprout. Instead of sticking random packages of flower seeds in the fridge, why not let mother nature do all the work?
how to winter sow vegetable and flower seeds for a successful garden
First, we'll need a container. Things like milk jugs and two litre bottles are perfect for our project. Ideally, we want containers that are either clear or lightly opaque. Solid colored containers will not work. An opening in the top is also important, as we'll want rain and snow to be able to enter the bottle. Don't worry, we can still recycle the containers after we're done using them!
Using a sharp pair of scissors, or shop snips, we'll begin to cut the container. The snips that I use are Fiskar's Titanium Shop Snips. They're very strong, but work great when it comes to cutting the tough plastic. BE CAREFUL! Cutting through hard plastics can be a little tricky, so please make sure you're being safe!

On each container, we'll make roughly 4 cuts: three drainage holes, and one large cut around the center of the container. Do not completely cut the container in half. By leaving a "hinge", the container will be easier to open and close later in the season.
After preparing the container, add soil. In my milk jugs, I use an organic potting soil. Some people prefer to make their own "mix" of seed starting medium, but things like "Miracle Grow" also work very well.

That’s it, folks! Leave your seedy jugs outside with the (with the top cap off) and wait for them to germinate. Make sure you place them somewhere that rain and snow can fall into them and animals won’t try to get into them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments below. Sometimes when I write these posts, I start taking things for granted and forget to mention important keys. Make sure you label your jugs all over the place, since they are outside, the elements almost always wash away the markers.

Lavender is very easy to germinate with WSing
Even though there are a lot of positives about winter sowing, there are a few things to watch out for which may cause you to fail. More specifically; making sure that containers remain moist at all times, that they don't get too hot, and that plants don't become root-bound in the containers. Though these can be an issue, the problems are generally very easy to avoid. Be sure not to sow too many seeds into one container, as well. This will ensure that transplanting will be super easy!
Beautiful lettuce transplants
My first year winter sowing, it was definitely hard to believe that this would work. To say I was "skeptical" is definitely an understatement. Imagine my surprise and delight when the first sprouts began to emerge from their containers in early March! So happy!
Brussels sprout transplants ready for garden
Thank goodness! No more starting seeds in my living room, and no more potting soil in the carpet! (LOL!)
Thanks so much for checking out this post!

You can also find me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Snapchat -

@freshcutky
I WS ~90% of my entire garden!
Love gardening, and want to learn more? Join our gardening Facebook group! Link below!

Won't you please support @freshcutky by joining the garden soap subscription club? Each month, you'll receive one 5 oz bar of handmade soap delivered to your door. All profits go towards the dream of buying a farm. Thank you so much for your support! Sign up by clicking here!

Fiskars Titanium Nitride No. 8 Shop Snip (12-79266984)
Tonya

• Nancy Turner

How do you know when to start this, I know in my Zone (4 A) it is way to early, it is still below zero at night and maybe teens during the day if we are lucky. What type of temps would a person start them at where they will not freeze. We don't always have much sun either.

• Nancy Turner

Last frost date hasn't worked well the last couple of years, Last year it was in march, then a sudden cold spell at the end of April lasting into May. Some years it is so wet you can't even plant until June. It is different every year.

• Robin Connick

When would I start this? I live in zone 3.

• Tonya

You can start zone 3 perennial seeds now. When the time is right, the will begin to germinate. I would definitely wait before thinking about starting seeds which are less cold tolerant. Hope that helps!

• Swe10614343

I'm in Michigan and it's in the 30's right now and winter isn't over, it could go back in the teens and more snow wouldn't that kill the plants?

• See4190599

i have tried to cut these and they are very hard to do and frustrating any ideas

• Pat

Put the name on paper cover with clear tape keeps longer