Asked on Jan 15, 2018

How to get a new stain out of a wool rug

Cristine Meixner9530106Virginia
+5

It is a light colored loop wool rug

• Sauve
    Sauve

Before you start cleaning wool with vinegar you should be away that vinegar is used to set dyes into wood. If the stain is red wine, blood, coffee, or tea cleaning it with vinegar will set the stain. I use rubbing alcohol and lots of paper towels to take spills/stains out of light colors. If it is old car oil or street dirt, the best thing I have found is to pack it with dry baking soda and let it rest there for a couple days and then vacuum it out. You can try Ivory hand washing dish detergent after but don't use a brush on loops.

• Virginia
    Virginia

Wool takes dye very well and holds onto it; be warned. Kool-aid dyes are very bright and quite tenacious.

I recommend, after cleaning your carpet (club soda can help), treat your carpet with something that turns dirt like A Scotchguard product.
  • 9530106
    9530106

Borax, and a little dish soap and water to make a paste. Easy on the dish soap, as you will need to rinse. Work in with a not too stiff brush, if your fiber is tight enough. This will take out almost anything. You could also use a little hydrogen peroxide mixed in, instead of the water.
  • Cristine Meixner
    Cristine Meixner

what is the stain?