How do you replace a section of footer that has disinagrated.

I own a home that was built 75 years ago. I have a section of (non existent footer) that’s not really a footer and has sunk down about 3” to 4”. This is an outside wall where my kitchen sink, cabinets and counter top have followed suit by sinking as well. I’m sure I’ll have to replace and redesigned my entire kitchen including areas along the outside wall. How do I install a new footer along this wall?
q how do you replace a section of footer that has disinagrated
photo of kitchen‘s exterior wall that has sunk down 3” or more.
  3 answers
  • Shoshana Shoshana on Jan 16, 2018
    This may be a good place to start for this project-

    • Jim Cook Jim Cook on Jan 16, 2018
      Thats great for a sill plate which I’ve done in the past. That’s actually the easy part. Replacing the footer is the hard part. I need to replace a 12’ long section of footer that’s only 18” deep.

  • Hope Williams Hope Williams on Jan 16, 2018
    Hi Jim. First and foremost, you need to have the structural (sinking portion) addressed. It sounds like a support pier under your house has failed. Which can be very involved or a simple fix. Have you looked under the house, inspected for termite or broken support, rotten floor joist? That is your first step. The problem needs to be address before the issues can be resolved. Once the problem is fixed, the house can be jacked up back into position and if you still want to do the kitchen, then you can go from there.
    Let me add this; if it were me, I would inspect myself. Call the appropriate repair folks and let a professionals do this one. Being an outside wall, make no mistake, it is a load bearing wall. If you fix just the footer, the rest of the home is going to follow suit in it’s falling in at that weak point. While under the house, I would inspect the entire structure for any other possible weak/potential problems.
    Let us know how it turns out.

  • 27524803 27524803 on Jan 16, 2018 or can put you in contact with verified professionals who can help you assess the problem and recommend the correct solution. A structural engineer would be a good place to start.
    The more you know.... the better decisions you can make.