Spindle and Pallet Wood Heart

69K Views
It’s a month until Valentine’s Day and I couldn’t resist bringing you another pallet wood heart.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $0Difficulty: Medium
  • spindle and pallet wood heart
Like the name suggests, this time I’m combining pallet wood with a few wood spindles.
  • spindle and pallet wood heart
I used a table top  Scroll Saw   to slice down the middle of each spindle. You could leave the spindles intact, but I think they are easier to work with this way and you can use half the amount.
  • spindle and pallet wood heart
Cut out a heart pattern from a large sheet of paper or newspaper.
  • spindle and pallet wood heart
Transfer your pattern to the spindles.  I made sure to use the portion of each spindle that had the most carving.
  • spindle and pallet wood heart
I used the same scroll saw that I used to cut the spindles in half to make the heart cuts.
  • spindle and pallet wood heart
Because there were some bold colors on the spindles,  I gave each of the spindles a coat of chalk paint.
  • spindle and pallet wood heart
I cut the pallet wood to fit the heart, sanded the pallets and gave them a coat of white wax.  Watered down white paint, a white wash, would give the same effect.
  • spindle and pallet wood heart
Paint as desired.  I used 2 shades of pink, 1 red and a white, blended to give different shades of pink.
  • spindle and pallet wood heart
Nail/glue, scrap wood  cross braces on the back of the pallet wood to secure.
  • spindle and pallet wood heart
Do the same with the spindles.  I used wood glue then secured with finish nails.

Since I had all my supplies on hand, I had no out of pocket costs.

If you don't have spindles available and would like to see a few more pallet wood hearts, make sure you click on the link below. You'll also see a few more pictures of the finished spindle heart.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of May 18, 2018 11:31 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
ScavengerChic

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question