Desiree G
Desiree G
  • Orlando, FL

China Cabinet Makeover

$50

We recently inherited my husband's grandmother's china cabinet and the before was heavy and dark! I knew I wanted a chippy white look for it but not too white.

Fusion Mineral Paint is my favorite paint right now and I chose the color Champlain but I didn't want my Rae Dunn collection to blend in with the color, so I painted the back wall a soft blue.
china cabinet makeover
I was planning on priming the hutch first since the wood is so dark and I was afraid of the wood bleeding through but I took a chance and painted a section to see if it was going to bleed through the paint. Nope!

I did clean the whole piece with TSP first to remove all dirt and oils. If you don't want this much distressing I recommend that you prime first if the surface is shinny or really slick.
china cabinet makeover
I used Fusion Mineral Paint in Champlain for the body and Rust-Oleum in Serenity Blue for the back wall.
china cabinet makeover
It took 3 coats to cover completely.
china cabinet makeover
I started sanding it a couple hours after the paint dried so it would be easier to sand in a chippy look. I used a coarse grade, 120 grit sanding disk since already have a lot of them for my sander. Using pressure with one finger in the areas I wanted to chip away. After you have your desired look, go over it with a fine (220 grit) sanding block to get a smooth finish.
china cabinet makeover
I wanted a chippy look to it and since the finish on the hutch was shinny/slick when I started sanding it the paint came off in larger sections & I LOVE it!

By pressing hard with one finger in areas it took the paint off in large sections, achieving that chippy look.

china cabinet makeover
I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the top doors off or not so I took one side off to see what it looked like without them. The glass panes would reflect the sunlight making it hard to see inside the hutch. I loved the look with the window panes, so I just took the glass out of the doors.

Don't be afraid of trying something to see if you like it first.
china cabinet makeover

I painted over the hinges and distressed them. It gives a soft look with the hardware just blending in with the piece. 
china cabinet makeover
To keep with the rustic feel of this makeover I decided to do a very soft dry brush over the blue with the same color of the body of the china cabinet. You can see the difference in the top photo. The upper shelf area doesn't have the dry brush or distressing.
china cabinet makeover
Isn't it beautiful?!
china cabinet makeover
The light blue on the back wall makes the white china stand out!
china cabinet makeover
I love how bright and light this space is now!
Desiree G

• Lar20841517

Am I the only one who finds this heartbreaking?

• Nancy

Actually I have looked about selling mine as is, but I see no bids on these pieces at various sites. Now that I am in my 50's and have some old pieces like this hutch I feel like my house looks like an old persons! If I painted mine it wouldn't date me and maybe someone younger would want to buy it one day!

• Dl.5660408

Love, love love it! The soft blue is awesome. I wondered, is there a difference between mineral and chalk paint?

• Dianna Jensen

Desiree, Your grandmother would be proud of you. This is adorable. I love all the drawers on the top. The colors are great and the whole dining area has come to life!! Thanks for sharing.

• Dl.5660408

• Cybil Elliott

I want you to know first that I'm not being rude or mean. I've pondered this question for quite some time now. Why do people paint an item only to make it look really old, and use the words distressed or rustic? I just don't get it. To me it just looks old and used.

• Darlene Merritt

I think it is beautiful and I wish I was brave enough to do this to my own 1970’s hutch .